cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a CA charge interest on a medical bill?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a CA charge interest on a medical bill?

Seems like I remember reading somewhere that you can't charge interest on a medical collection. ??
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a CA charge interest on a medical bill?

I think it depends on the agreement with the doctor's office that you signed as a new patient. Some doctors will have that proviso. Some won't.

Also, AFAIK, some states allow CAs to charge fees and interest! What state are you in?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The doctor & CA were both in NC.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, searching ...

One thing I came up with is a notation that they passed a bill in the State Congress that states that a non-private hospital can charge interest ... does this apply to you? Or is it from a private hospital or doctor??

*Back to searching!*
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't think it was private.. carolinas med center & carolinas med center university hosp.

Bill from the hosp says $55. Bill from a CA says $180.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, back again!

From what I can see the answer is NO. Unless the agreement you signed with the hospital or doctor included the proviso "we reserve the right to charge interest" you cannot be charged interest rates by the CA, UNLESS (apparently) the OC is a state-run hospital.

Did that make sense?? Yeesh!

Also, the law provides you to demand an accounting of HOW they arrived at that amount (but you probably already know that). And they have to tell where the interest originated (from them? from the OC?).

I hope that helped some!!! Someone else will more than likely come along that knows collection law far better than I do!

Anyone??
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

By your state LAW they can only add charges that you agreed to at the time you entered into the agreement UNLESS they obtained a judgment against you ... in that case, they can charge you 8% interest. How old is this? Would that 8% account for the difference??

I think you're being rooked. Who's the CA? I'd demand an accounting of what the extra $$ is for EXACTLY and who is tacking it on. If it's the CA it's a no-go and illegal. At least, that's what the web's stating.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it doesn't matter anyway. I paid the OC for all the bills. The CA is just refusing to delete, saying I still owe THEM. But I can prove that I paid the OC for this account. It's just interesting they've arrived at an am't that's 3.5 times the am't of the original bill ($55). And I have the original bill. DOS was 1/3/03 but I got a bill for it in Feb of this year, so I also know the OC wasn't charging any interest.

I just want them to get it off my CR, as it's HIPAA info anyway and I just don't like people knowing that I was in the hosp at some point... I'm getting back to them tomorrow, I think we'll be able to work this out once I mention that I'm uncomfy w/ HIPAA-protected info being held by the CA.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

P.S. Thanks so much for doing that research!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice research- 

If they can't can't validate the additional charges- that is a FDCPA violation

ivyalmighty wrote:
P.S. Thanks so much for doing that research!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.