cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a CA report to the Credit Bureaus a second time?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a CA report to the Credit Bureaus a second time?

I'm a little confused about a letter I received from a CA.  This account is scheduled to drop off my credit report in October.  It's an old utility account.  Anyways, this exact same CA reported me years back and now they sent me a letter (which I haven't heard from them in about a year) saying the following:

Your delinquent account has been turned over to this collection agency.  You are hereby notified that I.C. Systems will forward the account informaiton to the national credit reporting agencies in your creditors name if you fail to fulfill the terms of your credit obligations.  Of course, you will have the right then, as you do now, to inspect your credit file in accordance with federal law. 

Then it goes on about the 30 days I have to dispute the validity of the debt. 

I figured maybe they sent this to me because it's tax season and expect me to want to pay this with a refund.  But why would they threaten to send it to the credit agencies when they already did so.  I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.  I just want to wait until this falls off my report in October and be done with it.  But should I do something within the 30 days to dispute?  This letter sounds like the first letter they send out on an account.  Please help!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Can a CA report to the Credit Bureaus a second time?

Is the same CA on your CR now?  If so, then no they cannot report it again.

If they are not, yes, they can report until it is no longer legal to do so.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it is the exact same CA that is reporting on my CR. 

So, just thinking ahead, if this CA sold this account to another CA, that CA cannot report this account to the Credit Agencies because the 7 year mark is ending soon or the (statute of limitations?)  .  Correct?

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry to be a pain, but I just wanted to be certain and be prepared in case this happens.  If a second CA reported this account after buying it, I can dispute it with the collection agency because it is would exceed the statute of limitations correct?  At least once it passes the fall off date?  Or would it then stay for another 7 years?

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If the second CA reported, it would still fall off at the scheduled time.

I really don't seeing them reporting at this late date but, some CAs might do it just to cause pain and suffering.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.