cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a JDB assign the debt to another CA and still report a balance?

tag
golo
Frequent Contributor

Can a JDB assign the debt to another CA and still report a balance?

Like the tittle says,i have a JDB on my report that is reporting a balance on a debt they seem to have purchased some years ago.The problem i have understanding my report is that the same JDB is reporting another TL that seems to have been born out of the account they purchased.The balance is the same,the furnisher is the same JDB.It seems that they have purchased it,report it,and then assign it to themselves and report it again,but with a different different account number,so now i have 3 TLs out of the same account.I understand the JDB intentions,but i wonder if it even legal.Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
luckelle
Regular Contributor

Re: Can a JDB assign the debt to another CA and still report a balance?

its would seem to be legal, but the devils in the details. I have one doing that,but they in some way reference the original creditor

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

One, the JDB is not a creditor if the debt was delinquent at the time of their purchase, and thus their reporting is a collection, not a trade line with the consumer. 

Two, if the debt is the same, they can only report once as collecting on that debt.  If they have reported twice under the same name on the same debt, I would send them a direct dispute, contesting their duplicate reporting of the same information.

Three, one cannot legally assign a right they have to themselves. 

There appears to be more in their chain of schenanighans than meets the eye.

Message 3 of 4
golo
Frequent Contributor

Like always,thank you Robert for you input,I really appreciate it,as Im engulf in a fight with this evil JDB.I filed complaints with the bbbs in 2 different states as they are reporting from address in 2 different states.In from NV they are reporting on TL on equifax,and form an address in PR they are reporting on TU 2 TLs on the same account they seem to have purchased.So the same JDB is reporting 2 TLs on the same alleged debt.I can trace 1 TL to the OC,but not the other one.Ugh,sighs...they Re the reason my score is trash.Robert,what can I say on a letter,how can I dispute it? Thanks much.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.