cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a Medical CA update to CRA during DV?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a Medical CA update to CRA during DV?

I have a collection account with Central Financial Control for a medical collection in the original amount of $400. I originally went to the hospital in January of 2006 and it was sent to collections in March of 2007. The account was never paid. Almost a year later I received a letter from a new collection agency and they were saying I owed $800.00 and if I paid half then the debt would be settled huh.gif

I began building my credit in January of this year but really haven't looked too much into medical collections but from the few things I've read I see that they are different.

Well Central Financial Control never updated my collections until November 8, 2008. Now they updated the amount from $400.00 to $449.00 so a few days after that I sent them a simple Validation letter asking them to validate this debt for me because I honestly don't know who has my account and why did they up the amount owed. I sent the letter CMRRR and a few days after they received the DV they marked the account in dispute.

It's been about 45 days since they received my DV and they have not sent me anything. That isn't my problem though, the thing is that since the DV they continue to update the collections and upping the amount by about $1.00 everytime they update it. Now it's up to $453.00.

I never went through the Hippa process because this debt was never paid and I just really wanted to know who has my account and why did they increase the amount.

Do medical collection agency have the right to update the collection account every month during the DV? They are updating twice a month because they keep adding $1.00 at the start and at the end of the month.
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a Medical CA update to CRA during DV?

Hi Bishop,  medical collections are different then all other debt!  You should always go through the OC (unless impossible)

Forget the DV to the CA!!!!!!!

Read the medical sticky. I know that it can get confusing so read it and then ask as many questions as you need.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=rebuildingcredit&thread.id=27537

I would call the OC and be sure of the amount that they (OC) says that you owe.  You can PIF the OC using the complete restrictive endorsement. After the check is cashed then  start the HIPAA process from the start.

The HIPAA process must be in done in order you can not skip letters!!

You can also call the OC for the correct amount owed and start the HIPAA process.....using the OC letter to PIF the OC.

You should not use the OC letter to make payment UNLESS you have done all the other steps first

Message Edited by HappyDays on 12-27-2008 06:28 PM
Message Edited by HappyDays on 12-27-2008 06:33 PM
Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bishop,  medical collections are different then all other debt!  You should always go through the OC (unless impossible)

Forget the DV to the CA!!!!!!!

Read the medical sticky. I know that it can get confusing so read it and then ask as many questions as you need.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=rebuildingcredit&thread.id=27537

I would call the OC and be sure of the amount that they (OC) says that you owe.  You can PIF the OC using the complete restrictive endorsement. After the check is cashed then  start the HIPAA process from the start.

The HIPAA process must be in done in order you can not skip letters!!

You can also call the OC for the correct amount owed and start the HIPAA process.....using the OC letter to PIF the OC.

You should not use the OC letter to make payment UNLESS you have done all the other steps first

Message Edited by HappyDays on 12-27-2008 06:28 PM
Message Edited by HappyDays on 12-27-2008 06:33 PM
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks!  I'll do that.  I originally didn't read up much on the Hippa  process because I read it was for paid collection, I just mainly wanted to know how much I owe now and who do I owe it to.

thanks.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical debt is usuall never sold by the OC. So calling them will get the correct amount and NOT what the CA has added. This is all that you pay. You do not need to mention the CA to the OC.

Your more then welcome. Goos luck!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.