cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a creditor ignore your disputes and put it on your credit report anyway?

tag
amgj1970
New Visitor

Re: Can a creditor ignore your disputes and put it on your credit report anyway?

It was the only item

Message 11 of 17
amgj1970
New Visitor

Re: Can a creditor ignore your disputes and put it on your credit report anyway?

It is on the CR and it happened after they stated I didnt respond to them.  Even though I did.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amgj1970 wrote:

It is on the CR and it happened after they stated I didnt respond to them.  Even though I did.

This is why it's important to send certified mail return receipt when your dealing with these types of disputes.

Why would someone come in and steal just a fridge? Do you know who stole it?

Message 13 of 17
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

@amgj1970 wrote:

I made the biggest mistake and was dealing with Aaron's rent to own.  I had insurance on the account and unfortunately the merchandise was stolen.  I informed them of this and they told me I couldnt file the insurance claim You informed them on the same day the refrigerator was stolen? and was trying to collect over $2000 from me for a used refrigerator which had a value less than $300.

they sent me a letter stating they were sending the letter What letter? to corporate collections and if I didnt respond Respond to what? then they would pursue further collection efforts.  I responded the same day and mailed the letter of dispute to them.  (kept a copy as well).  

I didnt hear anything from them for about a month.  (basically the 30 day validation period).  Then in the same day, I received a letter stating I failed to respond and they would notify the credit reporting agencies of the account.  I in turn went to my email and discovered an alert from Credit Karma that it was already on my credit report.  I mailed them another letter (keeping a copy for myself) stating I did respond and they ignored my response, ignored my dispute and that i would be filing a complaint with the Attorney General.

can I dispute this off of my credit report because they didnt follow validation of debt guidelines nor did they recognize my response saying I refused to respond when in fact I did respond. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The LDW or Loss Damage Waiver is the right to file for insurance claim if something happened.  They dragged the situation on for over 3 months within the store level and it was said they wouldnt honor a police report and I would be responsible regardless.  The unfortunate truth here is that you let them drag it on for over 3 months. When I talked to the police department they said it was too late to file the charges of theft.  too much time had passed. If it had been you car that was stolen would you have waited 3 months to report it to the police?  The store knew this and that is what they were hoping for so that they could just come after me and not have to write it off as a loss.  Now it is on my credit report.  I just filed the dispute with the CRA now.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Not trying to be a jerk here, but I don't think you're telling the whole story. I've been the victim of a B&E twice in my life and never had a 200lb refrigerator stolen.

FICO 08:Jan 18, 2017: EX 800 EQ 725 TU 799
FICO 08:Feb 10, 2017: EX 788 EQ 772 TU 791 (post New Year's app spree)
In the garden as of 1/4/2017. Will remain for all of 2017.
Message 14 of 17
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I am sorry for your misfortune but did you file a police report. That would definitely help with any insurance claim: home;renters; or whatever through Aaron's. They are not the most ethical company so read their fine print a then see what you can in regards to your report, since they would be the OC, they can post anytime. They may have a third party come after you too. Keep on pushing !!
Message 15 of 17
stellar
Established Contributor

quote from heavyjay:

Not trying to be a jerk here, but I don't think you're telling the whole story. I've been the victim of a B&E twice in my life and never had a 200lb refrigerator stolen.

Just because YOU haven't had a refrigerator stolen after B+E does not make it impossible for someone to have a refrigerator stolen.  That's the worst logic.

I know someone who has had large appliances stolen and sold on craigslist. 

OP, I'm sorry you're dealing with all this.  It doesn't seem like you have a lot of solid options.  But I would dispute with the CRA's, contact the BBB about it and the FCRA.  And maybe threaten legal action against Aarons if all else fails.  Send letters with confirmation of delivery in future.

Message 16 of 17
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

amgj,

Any win you have on this will not be a direct result of credit laws, it will be a direct result of tort law. They have violated their fiscal responsibility to you and are enaging in behavior that amounts to fraud.

To be very clear you PD cannot refuse to let you file a report unless the statute of limitations has lapsed. they are always in years not months. get it filed, if they argue ask to spea public affairs and the DA.

Without that report you have not legal recourse against Aarons.

In the report you file, make sure you list the time, date and officers name (if you have it) who refused to take the first report and follow through and file a formal complaint with the Police Integrity Buearu or what ever they are called in your city. Contact the state attorney generals office also.

That report is vital and it must be accurate and complete. do not let them pressure you into signing an incorrect or incomplete report.

They will not be investigating this crime, but the report must be made for your sake.

Once you have the report. File a complaint with the State Attorney Generals office and the BBB.

Find a lawyer, even a public aid lawyer, and have them draft a cease and desist with an intent to sue if Aarons does not cease the collection effort and fix your credit report.

Be clear and detailed in that letter, names of employees, dates times, store number, managers name. Tell them you will be seeking class action status from the courts.

They will say you agreed to arbitration, tell them you are suing anyway because if they have screwed you they have screwed thousands of others. That provable behavior can override the arbitration clause in some states and courts.

Also contact the Consumer Protection Buearu in D.C.

Make sure the lawyer lets Aarons know you filed all those complaints and will be filing more.

After that is done, go to social media, specifically Aarons Social Media. Put them on BLAST over this. If they block you get a new account, get your friends and family to help you make this go viral. Social Media bloodbaths are very powerful tools to get snakes to run back in their holes.

good luck

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.