cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a creditor report a repo two years after it occurred??? Please read this!!!

tag
Brandon1972
Valued Member

Can a creditor report a repo two years after it occurred??? Please read this!!!

I've been posting some other threads related to my question. My ex and I purchased a car from a corner lot 3 years ago. They did in-house financing. My ex ended up getting the car as stated in our decree. She gave the car back 2 years ago and they're just reporting not a repo but a strict forclosure in an open account with a $6888 balance. This doesn't seem quite fair as they never reported the on time payments to the CRA's. I was just looking in a copy of the 2012 FCRA and came across this. Can someone tell me what this means? Is this saying a creditor has 90 days to report a delinquency???? (5) Duty to Provide Notice of Delinquency of Accounts (A) In general . A person who furnishes information to a consumer reporting agency regarding a delinquent account being placed for collection, charged to profit or loss, or subjected to any similar action shall, not later than 90 days after furnishing the information, notify the agency of the date of delinquency on the account, which shall be the month and year of the com - mencement of the delinquency on the account that immediately preceded the action
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can a creditor report a repo two years after it occurred??? Please read this!!!

Yes, they can add/update anytime within the 7 year CRTP.   that just says they must provide the proper DoFD within a certain timeframe.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
Brandon1972
Valued Member

Re: Can a creditor report a repo two years after it occurred??? Please read this!!!

@Shogun wrote:

Yes, they can add/update anytime within the 7 year CRTP.   that just says they must provide the proper DoFD within a certain timeframe.

But they never provided the DoFD till now.  There was a deliquency 2 years ago and they're just now reporting, just not in a derog way.  I'm really hoping I have a leg to stand on to dispute this somehow.

Message 3 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see a reason to delete.  At the very most, they verify the DoFD.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 5
polno1234
Contributor

no lender is ever required by any law to ever report to the cras. the only laws are on accuracy of info on crs and how a debt collector must act. sullivan vs equifax- reprting a debt to a credit reporting agency is " a powerful tool designed, in part, to wrench compliance with payment terms"

exactly what they are doing by reporting it now that they see you are attempting to clean up your report.

umderstand that a violation of fcra from  does not constitute removal of said item from report. you may sue for damages and they report with correct info. fdcpa does not require deletion of the item either only a cease on activity until such time as it is validated or past crtp.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.