cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a paid collection be removed?

tag
islandsky

Can a paid collection be removed?

My question is about collections.  Are they ever removed from your report; or can they be removed?  If you paid it and it's been a very long time since you did is there any way to ask them to remove the collection reported or does it automatically fall off eventually? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a paid collection be removed?

It will be removed 7 - 7 1/2 years from DOFD by law.

To get it removed early, your only option would be to send the CA a GW letter.

Check the links in my signature for more information and examples.

Message 2 of 10
islandsky

Thanks for the advice. 

Considering that the CRA does not offer all the information; how do I send a letter if they don't have an address on the website?  Should I send it to the address on an old bill (assuming it came from the same branch)?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where did you pull your reports from?

If gotten directly from the CRA, there should an address for the CA.

Check the BBB website and your AG or SOS websites.

Message 4 of 10
islandsky

Sorry for the incompetence...but you mean I should send the GW letter to the CA not the Company who the debt was originally owed, right?

It's actually on my TU and EX but not the EQ.

Message Edited by islandsky on 01-03-2009 04:41 PM
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The GW should be sent to the one reporting the information you want removed/changed.

Only the one reporting can change it/remove it.....so if the CA is reporting, yes it will go to the CA.

Message 6 of 10
islandsky

How do I know I have the right address for the CA?  It says "Nor Ame Coll" on both reports and there's no address or other information?  When I look them up online it comes up North American Recovery.  I'm just not sure if I ever paid them, I believe I didn't know there was a collection against me and when I found the delinquent bill I paid the OC.  This seems so complicated because I'm not sure about the whole account anyway.  Should I attempt to call the OC and ask them about my previous account that was sent to collection?

This is what it says:

"Paid account/was a collection account, insurance claim or government claim or was terminated for default"

Any more help would be much appreciated.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there not a section on your report that says "creditor contacts" or "creditor information" something like that?

Where did you get your reports?

If you are unsure what this even is and do not recall paying them, then I would DV them to make sure this is a valid collection.

Before you DV, make sure that this account is beyond SOL or you could PIF, in case this turns out to be a valid account that isn't paid.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 01-03-2009 07:40 PM
Message 8 of 10
islandsky

I got my reports from the Suze Orman FICO Kit...maybe I shouldn't have?  There's literally no other information other than the name the date and the statement.  It says it was paid in April of 2005.  I'm assuming it was paid somehow. 

Maybe I shouldn't even be trying to get it off my CR.  I'm thinking this is way over my head and my score is good right now (could be better)...AVG 697.  Do you think it's worth it to pursue this any further or just wait and time will take it off?

Thanks for all the help so far...

Message 9 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

For the most information, you should pull your CR directly from each CRA.  You can get them annually from

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

IMO, even though your scores are decent, if you can legally repair your credit further, I would.  The higher the FICO the better off you are.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.