cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an OC and a CA both report a balance for the same account?

tag
TSB71
Established Member

Can an OC and a CA both report a balance for the same account?

It seems like I am getting double dinged here.  I have a balance with both the OC and the CA.  I thought the OC was supposed to report 0.    If this is wrong do I just disupte double jeopardy or whatever to the credit bureaus?

Starting Score: 594
Current Score: 601
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Can an OC and a CA both report a balance for the same account?

@TSB71 wrote:

It seems like I am getting double dinged here.  I have a balance with both the OC and the CA.  I thought the OC was supposed to report 0.    If this is wrong do I just disupte double jeopardy or whatever to the credit bureaus?

The only time when the OC reports 0 bal is when they sold the account to the CA. If both are showing a bal that means the OC still owns the debt and has the CA collecting for them.

Message 2 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Even if the account is Charged Off does not mean it is automatically a 0 balance.  If they still own the debt they report a balance along with a CA, if they report.

If the OC sold the account, then it would report a 0 balance and the CA would report a balance.

Message 3 of 10
TSB71
Established Member

So would a PFD to OC be my best option?

Starting Score: 594
Current Score: 601
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You can, however, it does not remove the CA TL.  You can ask them to recall the debt from the CA and ask they don't report.  The CA does not have to do this.

Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is not actually double-reporting.

While the OC still owns the debt, they are reporting the balance remaining on the debt itself/

If they have assigned collection assistance to a debt collector, the collection reports the amount they are authorized to collect, not debt owed to them.

Message 6 of 10
Mindcrime

While it's not illegal, it does affect your scores. I've had two reports identical with one exception of CA and OC reporting on one, and only OC on another, and there was an approximate 50 point difference.

It's always best if OC still owns debt, if you can negotiate a deal with them to pull back account then CA should go away with a simple dispute and a PFD on the OC side would wipe it clean, if they agree to it.
Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Even if the OC pulls the account back the CA is under no obligation to remove their TL and there is no basis for a dispute.  Disputing accurate information is frowned upon by the TOS of the forums.

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

Upon receipt of payment by the OC, the collection is automatically terminated, as their is no remaining debt for the debt collector to continue collection.

The OC simply notifies the debt collector of that fact.  They dont "pull back" the collection, they notify the debt collector to teminate it, and certainly have no authority to "pull back" any credit reporting that they did not make.

There is NO basis for disputing the accuracy of the reporting made by the debt collector.  A dispute lacking basis is simply "frovolous or irrelevant."

Message 9 of 10
Mindcrime

Actually, OC's can, and have, pulled back accounts from an assigned CA, happens all the time. There is nothing illegal about it.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.