cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an OC charge me 25 dollars to validate my debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can an OC charge me 25 dollars to validate my debt?

Hawk Electronics is trying to charge me 25 dollars to validate my debt because its been archived. I live in Texas and I definitely don't think that its legal, is it?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Can an OC charge me 25 dollars to validate my debt?

It's shady at best. Legal? I have no clue. Sounds like a good question for RobertEG.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 15
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

IF they just sent you a dunning notice then they can not charge you a dime to validate the debt as the burden is on them to prove you owe a debt if you requested validation in a timely manner.

IF its well past the 30 days then well I'm surprised they even responded. I wouldn't pay the $25 fee just for them to access their records to validate a debt. I would either put that money towards a PFD.

IF you do not recollect this debt all and it just popped up on your records even if its 10 years old, by them just now putting something on your reports means that they are to supply a dunning notice and give you the right to ask for validation.

Were you aware of this debt from before? has it been lingering and your just now asking for them to validate?

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recently pulled my credit report and saw it was on there it was from 2007. The lady said they wont send it to me unless I pay the fee. It just doesn't sound legal. Ive not received any bills or notifications from them any time recently.
Message 4 of 15
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

If the collection was ADDED in 2007 even if they never sent you a dunning notice then you'll pretty much be in a crapshoot trying to force them to validate.

IF the DEBT was from 2007 and they just reported it, then they have no basis for charging a fee for validation even if it was from 2007 - its not YOUR fault they didn't try to collect until now, its theirs.

Also if its been on since 2007, let this be a lesson why you should check your reports AT LEAST yearly, if not more often - especially if your denied credit and/or not given the best terms.

Either way, the collecton is 5 years old going on 6 years - is it perhaps beyond SOL for your state? If it is, then you could probably just work on a PFD settlement thing for 10-25% of the debt.

You didn't mention though, do you REMEMBER this debt or were you just hoping to have them delete it if you asked for validation. If you don't recognize it then you could dispute it on that basis - I'm not promoting disputing debts you know are valid, however if you do not recognize this debt and nothing was sent to you, a dispute with the CRA could be in order and if they aren't willing to just validate to you, they may not be willing to validate it to the CRA.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely dont remember this debt at all and have no clue as to whether or not its valid. It very well could of been something my ex at the time did without me knowing. But I really have no proof of that. If not ill do a pfd, the SOL is 4 years here in Texas. Thank you for all of your responses and help.
Message 6 of 15
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Ok so its well beyond the SOL - that is GOOD NEWS.

How much is the debt we're talking about? $100, $1000, more?

since its outside of SOL, then really all you NEED to worry about is it being on your reports either now or later. You don't need to worry about them trying to sue so really you have far more leverage than they do.

Either way since its beyond the SOL I would not offer them 100%. If they haven't been actively trying to collect on this debt, they probably know its beyond the SOL and they probably think they aren't going to get a dime out of you at this point anyways. I would send an initial offer of 10% with a reminder that they have no leverage in regards to a lawsuit and though you do not recognize this debt you'd like it off your reports now rather than having to wait 2 more years and it being automatically being removed and them loosing ALL leverage they have in regards to collecting this debt.

If they are smart they'll see it as they can make some money without having to do anywork and will take it. I wouldn't go above 50% on a settlement at this point (unless you plan on moving out of Texas). After a year and its still not settled start again at 10% and see if they'll bite, slowly making your way up to 50% and then stop making offers.

Then once it comes off your reports, offer them 10% again. If they refuse - then they have a very poor business model.

Message 7 of 15
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Are you talking about sending a DV to the OC or the CA?

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 8 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

A DV is for the CA, not for the OC.  Do a direct dispute with the OC.  That way it falls on them to validate the debt.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 15
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

^^^ this
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.