cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an OC charge me 25 dollars to validate my debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can an OC charge me 25 dollars to validate my debt?

Its a 561 dollar debt. And since its past the SOL hopefully I can try and settle with them. Its the OC, its not been sent to a CA for whatever reason. Just really rubbed me the wrong way when they said I had to pay 25 dollars to even get a statement at all. It just sounds insane to me. Thank you all very much for all of your help with this.

Message 11 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

So they wanted $25 dollars for you to pay the bill?  Sounds fishy to me.  Direct dispute them, make them pull it out of archive.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah. The lady told me they will not send me a single statement until the fee is paid. I guess because they are the OC they can if they want to it just sounds wrong on so many levels.
Message 13 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Being a creditor, they are not subject to the FDCPA debt validation process, and thus any request to them for verification is a request for personal service.

Direct dispute is certainly an option, however to require investigation, it would have to provide some basis for asserting the invalidity of the debt.

Unlike the DV process, which does not require documentation of any inaccuracy, the dispute process permits the furnisher to dismiss any dispute that does not meet the burden of asserting an actual inaccuracy.  Disputes are not fishing expeditions that compel investigation of unasserted inaccuracies.

Message 14 of 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

ummm, I wonder if they are asking for the $25 to reset the DOLA so the SOL starts again? IDK, just thinking out loud, but it seems very strange they would ask for $25 to pull out the info on an old account. That would be a pretty dirty trick IMO.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.