cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an OC report a charged-off account as open?

tag
onepointatatime
Contributor

Can an OC report a charged-off account as open?

Hi - I just signed up with myfico's new 3-score scorewatch service, and as you can see from my signature there is an absurd 155 point  gap between my TU score of 694 and my EX score of 539.  As I pore over my reports with a fine-toothed comb I think I discovered why there's this abyss - TU reports an old charged off credit card from NFCU as 'Closed' in the 'Status' section of the report, whereas EX shows it as 'open'.

Forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that when an account is charged off, it's closed.  As far as I know, NFCU closed this account in 2009.  Is it possible they re-opened it?  Is there such a thing?

Assuming it is indeed closed, can I contact EX to tell them to stop reporting this account as Open, as it's Closed?  I think this would definitely explain the 155 point gap...

Sep 2013: mid 500s | Sep 2014: myfico: EX 539 | EQ 594 | TU 694 || My Rebuilding Journey
myfico, 12/3/2015: EX 666 | EQ 677 | TU 689 | AAoA : 3y | INQs (12/24) EX 11/13 | EQ 5/9 | TU 4/7
Cards: Chase Sapphire Pref. $6K | BoA Travel Rewards $1.6K | Cap1 QS Rewards $7.5K | Priceline $0.5K | Credit Union $2K | Total (5) Revolving CLs: $17.6K
Goal Score 2015: FICO08 800+
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Can an OC report a charged-off account as open?

Openpoint you could have put this in one thread Lol Smiley Very Happy

The CB in this case (EX) has nothing to do with how its reported that would be NFCU who is reporting

You could dispute that TL fact but that may wake the sleeping bear NFCU and I assume its past SOL here?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
onepointatatime
Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

The CB in this case (EX) has nothing to do with how its reported that would be NFCU who is reporting

You could dispute that TL fact but that may wake the sleeping bear NFCU and I assume its past SOL here?

Lol... two different topics though!! :-)  In fact, relating to two different accounts (just happens to be the same lender) :-)

As for SOL, yes I should be past SOL.. it was 5 years ago that they charged it off.  I may have woken them already anyway when I called them a several months ago.  I'm not too concerned about them, I'll find a way to take care of this debt, but since it's big (40k) I'm taking my time to study and weigh my options carefully before I make any decisions.  For the time being, I'm trying to see if I can clean up my report the best way possible, to improve my scores for the time being.

Anyway though, does anyone know if an old charged-off credit card can be "re-opened" by the lender?  I mean does such a thing exist?  It wouldn't make any sense to me because I thought that when they charge it off, it's history... that they would never re-open that same account.

Sep 2013: mid 500s | Sep 2014: myfico: EX 539 | EQ 594 | TU 694 || My Rebuilding Journey
myfico, 12/3/2015: EX 666 | EQ 677 | TU 689 | AAoA : 3y | INQs (12/24) EX 11/13 | EQ 5/9 | TU 4/7
Cards: Chase Sapphire Pref. $6K | BoA Travel Rewards $1.6K | Cap1 QS Rewards $7.5K | Priceline $0.5K | Credit Union $2K | Total (5) Revolving CLs: $17.6K
Message 3 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@onepointatatime wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Lol... two different topics though!! :-)  In fact, relating to two different accounts (just happens to be the same lender) :-)

As for SOL, yes I should be past SOL.. it was 5 years ago that they charged it off.  I may have woken them already anyway when I called them a several months ago.  I'm not too concerned about them, I'll find a way to take care of this debt, but since it's big (40k) I'm taking my time to study and weigh my options carefully before I make any decisions.  For the time being, I'm trying to see if I can clean up my report the best way possible, to improve my scores for the time being.

Anyway though, does anyone know if an old charged-off credit card can be "re-opened" by the lender?  I mean does such a thing exist?  It wouldn't make any sense to me because I thought that when they charge it off, it's history... that they would never re-open that same account.

I've seen plenty try but none with success for baddies....

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 6
onepointatatime
Contributor

I've seen plenty try but none with success for baddies....

So, in my case, then... would it indicate that NFCU is likely mis-reporting to two of the CBs (EX and EQ) the account as 'Open' instead of 'Closed' ?

Why would they do such a thing?  What's in it for them?

Message 5 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Could just be the data entry person (NFCU) made a mistake after all the info is entered by humans 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.