Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can any company ruin your credit score?

tag
bobbbby
New Visitor

Can any company ruin your credit score?

So I bought an item from a website. I paid the invoice with my credit card, but never received the item. I asked them for a tracking number or anything, but they couldn't provide it. I never received it either. I decided to dispute it with my credit card company and they ruled in my favor since they couldn't provide any proof. I'm assuming the credit card company took the money from the company because a month later I got an invoice from that company demanding I pay the invoice otherwise they will charge me interest and ruin my credit score. Is that legal? They aren't part of the government nor do they issue any credit. It's just a small company. I have a good credit score and I don't wanna ruin it over a small dispute, but I'm so damn stubborn that I don't even wanna give them a cent. What should I do?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
VinnyVee
Contributor

Re: Can any company ruin your credit score?

From the sounds of things everything is in your favor as far is evidence is concerned. You have the evidence that you paid for the product and never received it, and they couldn't provide evidence that they had ever shipped the product. So even in the event that they could somehow send something to collections, then you'd have the evidence to back up that it shouldn't be on your credit report. 

From what it sounds to me they're just trying to intimidate you. As for the legal side of things, I'm not too certain on that side of things honestly. But that's just my 2 cents.

(started in the mid 500s on all 3, 11/13)
As of 5/22/15 EX: 698, EQ: 700, TU: 703
Barclay Rewards: $2750, Capital One Quicksilver one: $4300, Discover IT : $300, Amazon Visa: $100. Best Buy Credit Card: $3000, Kohl's Charge: $300, Express: $2600, Overstock $1650, Chase Freedom $4700, AMEX Everday $1500, Serta iComfort $4700, Walmart $1600, Target $300
Message 2 of 5
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

@bobbbby wrote:

So I bought an item from a website. I paid the invoice with my credit card, but never received the item. I asked them for a tracking number or anything, but they couldn't provide it. I never received it either. I decided to dispute it with my credit card company and they ruled in my favor since they couldn't provide any proof. I'm assuming the credit card company took the money from the company because a month later I got an invoice from that company demanding I pay the invoice otherwise they will charge me interest and ruin my credit score. Is that legal? They aren't part of the government nor do they issue any credit. It's just a small company. I have a good credit score and I don't wanna ruin it over a small dispute, but I'm so damn stubborn that I don't even wanna give them a cent. What should I do?

NONE of it sounds legal... I'm not an expert on this, someone else will have better knowledge, but in terms of common sense and general knowledge, this sounds like a very shady company, in my opinion. The only way I could see them trying to damage your credit is by charging off the "debt" and then selling it to a CA who then reports it on your credit report.  But you have proof through your CC company that you were duped and didn't even receive the item, and the company never provided proof for anything they are are trying to back up. If for whatever reason this company does do that, I'd dispute with the CRA(s) immediately, as well as possibly your state's AG, and the BBB, maybe through more outlets, too. If a company is threatening you over a charge which was essentially fraudulent because they never even sent you the item you purchased anyways, they need to be reported.

If they do try the collection route, they'd just be losing money, anyways, since they lost the original charge to your card, and would still need to pay the CA a percentage of the purchase price. I don't really see them following through with that unless they are very, very dumb.

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 3 of 5
bobbbby
New Visitor

Thanks guys. I sent back the envelope they sent me with nothing inside so they wasted money on postage too. Smiley Happy

I guess all I have to do is wait and see what they do. Luckily I have my CC company on my side.

Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, plus, I'd file a BBB complaint against them while I was at it.  I did not receive the product and now they are trying to collect for it.  Looks like a very valid complaint to me.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.