Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone assist me with my question below

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone assist me with my question below

i posted this in the bk area but getting no responses so I thought I would try here. i hope this is the correct thread for this topic, if not will a mod please move. I have been working extremely hard to clean up my credit after my BK was discharged in 2011. I have a really strange and off the wall question, so I need to expert advice. My BK was filed in August 2010, yet on my credit report it shows a Capital One card that was open in December of 2010. I don't ever recall opening a Capital one card in December of 2010, plus how could it even get opened with an open BK. So my question is, how do I proceed since it shows on my credit report as charged off like like two years ago. I currently have two cards from Capital One, one which was opened in 2011 when the other account was delquient? I'm kind of puzzled and looking for advice.

Since you're getting responses here I will delete your post in Bankruptcy.

MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Can anyone assist me with my question below

Cap 1 will issue new accounts right after discharge.  They are probably the most BK friendly CC issuer.

If the account is assigned to a CA, send a DV letter and see what supporting docments.

If you are a victim of ID theft, you need to take the steps of doing a police report and working with the CRA's to get it off your reports.

You sound hesitant about whether you opened this account or not ("I don't remember.)  That seems a little odd because most people would remember something like this, especally after a BK, sound perhaps it is ID theft.

There  would have been lots of statements, late payment notices, phone calls, etc., if you defaulted on that loan.  You also likely would have been hammered by a collection agent.

You need to find out what's going on.  

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe I wasn't clear, this account was opened before my bk was discharged. This account was opened with an opened bk on my credit and not a discharged one

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would start by disputing the account either online or by phone, saying it's not my account. I don't believe it's rare for the CRA's to sometimes include errors.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been there and done that. Is it even possible to open a credit card with an open bankruptcy?

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Been there and done that. Is it even possible to open a credit card with an open bankruptcy?

Yes, though its more typical with a BK-13

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would they open a credit card with an open BK and you can include it before it is discharged if im not mistaken? I guess I will need to give cap one a call tomorrow and see what it going on

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

None of that really matters - the only thing that matters is that YOU NEVER AUTHORIZED THIS ACCOUNT. When or how it got opened is simply not relevant. Use FCRA 605B, ID Theft provision to get it removed.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.