cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help with my student loan rehab question?

tag
Dbbeme

Can anyone help with my student loan rehab question?

Long story short. My loans were in default for quite some time, I entered into the rehab program last year and completed it in November. My first "good standing" payment was January 1st.

I've been waiting and waiting for my credit score to increase (I have a score watch account on this website), and it hasn't changed at all. Today I called aes and they said that they would begin reporting my on time payments after my February 1st payment. I was then told that the rehab program apparently reported all of my accounts to be in good standing in December, and that if I haven't seen that on my credit, that I should send a dispute to the credit companies.

I just checked my free annual experian report, and it is showing all of my
Aes accounts to be closed and or transferred.

Can someone explain what's going on? Is this correct? Should I have seen a bump in my score?

Thank you so much in advance
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can anyone help with my student loan rehab question?

I went through student loan rehab in 2012, and they finally went positive in mid-2013. Is AES still the holder of your loans? I ask because in my case I worked with one company during the 9-month rehab phase, and then they were sold to Sallie Mae once they became "normal" loans again. And what happened was the rehab company completely disappeared from my report, replaced within a month or two by Sallie Mae showing a new loan in good standing.

So, did AES tell you whether they would continue to hold your loans, or if they'd be selling/transferring them? If the latter, you should have received a letter from either AES or the new lender (in my case, the rehab company sent me a note to sign acknowledging that my loans would be transferred to Sallie Mae, and then Sallie sent me a TON of documents I had to review and sign).

I'd say call AES and ask them who now owns your loans, and when you should expect to see the fully-rehabilitated loans (in good standing) post to your report.

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 2 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Closed and transferred isn't correct unless AES did just that.

If you were doing the rehab through them then they had to remove the default status.  It is their job to do that and not the CRAs.

Seeing a bump varies on what they did after the rehab.

I would contact AES and tell them they are all reporting closed and transferred and ask them why.

Message 3 of 6
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

There is a company that advertises onvthe radio where I'm from that states they can help anyone in any situation with student loans in distress. ill post it in here for everyone whenvi hear the number again.
Message 4 of 6
Dbbeme

Okay. So I called aes again. They still own my loan, they are saying that the accounts show transferred on my credit because they went from default to good standing (both aes, but two different departments which are basically two different companies). He said that is what was reported in December. I was told that he can see on my account that I am in good standing, and that they have not yet reported that to the credit companies. I was told I should give it until the first week of February and then call back.

Does this all sound correct? It seems reasonable to me but I just want to make sure.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Message 5 of 6
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Well Feb is almost to an end, has the OP heard anything else?

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.