cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can being an authorized user help credit score?

tag
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can being an authorized user help credit score?

I called Best Buy to inquire about what adding an AU does... and I was told they do not report on the AU's credit. Smiley Sad I was hoping to bump up my boyfriend's score a bit as my account is in good standing, no missed payments with one CLI for 6 years.

I am going to call and add him anyway and see what happens. If nothing happens, I can always remove him I suppose. 

For those that have been added as an AU or added an AU ... did they ask for the social of the AU?

Message 11 of 20
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

You bring up a good point.

I assume adding an AU would automatically be reported to the approriate credit bureaus.

I mean that can't report to only one's credit  reports and not the other one??

Message 12 of 20
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

@ilzhoefer wrote:

I assume adding an AU would automatically be reported to the approriate credit bureaus.

I was told because an AU is not responsible for the debt, it will not be reported to the credit as they are only being authorized to charge on the card. It's not the same as a joint account.

This was what the representative told me today.

Message 13 of 20
Geochk
Valued Member

My AU accounts report to TU and EX but not EQ. My EQ score is consistently 40 Pts lower.

Starting Score: 519
Current Score: 650
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@ilzhoefer wrote:

No, not all AUs report to the CRAs. 

Message 15 of 20
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Well the account closes the 28th, so I wil find out in a few weeks.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Dad added me to his Discover card, but it didn't ask for my S.S. #? How will it show up on my credit report?
Message 17 of 20
JLEO85
Established Member

You must add them as a joint account hold in some case that's ht I did on my brothers card I had to give my ss and sign off on the card agreement thn 30 days later it reported. The whole 5 years of history
To many credit card !!
I'm on the road to 700
Message 18 of 20
Simplyjays
New Contributor

not always because i got added on my fiances chase freedom as an AU and it doesnt appear on my credit at all. they also no longer do joint accounts.. so i dont see how it can really go into my credit report. on top of that they do not have my SSN.. so i belive it vairys from CC to CC. btw im spanish so my english gets mixed sometimes lol.

Inquires= 0 as of 3/20/2013 till 4/1/2014
-Amex green NPSL -Discover it 1k -Capital One 1.25k -Walmart 700.00
-JDCU 500.00 -Credit one bank 400.00 (credit builder card =) -Babys R-us 200.00? =(
TU=649
EQ=632 as of 3/20/2013
Message 19 of 20
elleng81
Contributor

Just my experience... I am an AU on my husbands Best Buy Reward Zone MC, his Cap 1 MC, and my father in law's NFCU Signature Visa... and all three show up on my report every month. I know that NFCU asked for my SS# when I was added... I don't remember with the other two though, it has been to long.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.