cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can collections that were deleted show up on your credit reports again?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can collections that were deleted show up on your credit reports again?

I had a student loan that I co-signed for my ex.  It went into default and passed through a number of collection agencies.  At one point in the fall, I couldn't even track it.  I've been doing credit repair and I was able to get it deleted through two of the bureaus.  Two weeks after the deletion, I get a call at work from a new collection agency claiming to own the debt and trying to collect from me.  If the account has already been disputed and deleted, are they able to report this to the bureaus?  I was told this would be double jeopardy.  Just wanted to know if anyone else has been through this and if you have any advice?  Merci beaucoup Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can collections that were deleted show up on your credit reports again?

Yes, they can.

First, you apparently acknowledge the legitimacy of the debt, so how and why was the reporting of the prior debt collector asserted as inaccurate in any dispute?

Did you file a dispute with them of the accuracy of their reporting, and was their deletion made as a result of their acknowledgment of inaccuracy, or did they just delete for some reason of which you are not aware?  If you did not dispute its accuracy, any deletion they made cannot be considered as resulting from a resolution of a dispute of its accuracy in your favor.  What dd you dispute, and how was it resolved?

Debt collectors delete for many reasons.  They might just want to discontinue collection, and either return it to the OC if an assigned collection, or sell the debt to another debt collector if they owned it.  Neither of those establish improper reporting.

The debt is still there.  Prior CR deletion does not delete the debt.  If a new debt collector purchases the debt, they are entitled to report their collection on the debt.

If the prior deletions by another were not directly as a result of a finding in a dispute resolution that it was inaccurately reported, the new debt collector is free to report without restriction.

Double jeopardy is a point of constitutional law that only applies to jeopardy for retrial in criminal proceedings against you when a prior court has entered a verdict of not guilty.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the info.  Looks like I'm in the clear, there was evidence to support the debt was inaccurately reported.  

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely can.

I had a $174 debt that was paid a LONG LONG time ago and was removed from my credit reports that made its way back onto my Equifax report at some point.

Im currently trying to get it removed yet again. I dont know what part of 'PAID IN FULL" Equifax doesnt understand. I even faxed the official legal documents showing it was paid before and somehow they still let it get back on there.

I didnt know it was back on there and so when I applied for an Amazon CC it was originally denied because of it.

I explained and they approved the card but only a $500 limit until I get Equifax to get their act together.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.