Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i get this removed?

tag
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

Can i get this removed?

I have a collections on my file from Calvary on a TL that is no longer reporting on any of my three reports.  I believe it has aged off all 3.  The debit is likely valid but I would obviously be interested in not seeing it on my report anymore since the tradeline doesn't even appear as a chargeoff. 

What would be the best course of action?  The collection itself won't age off for another 3 years or so.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ranjen1
Established Member

Re: Can i get this removed?

Dispute it wiht the credit bureaus telling them to verify the original date of default on the original account.  They are probably misreporting that.  The date the CA got the account should not be the date of deliquency.  The date the account was opened should be the last date you made a payment to the original creditor. 

LENDER PULL 02/13/13 EF 574 TU 596 XP 554
LENDER PULL 03/21/13 EF 632 TU 611 XP 589

GOAL: 640 FOR USDA
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The fact that an OC never reported, or reported and deleted information on their account, is separate from any reporting made by a debt collector, and not basis for requiring their deletion.

As long as the debt collector had collection authority, either by assignment from the OC or by purchase of the debt, they are permitted to report.

If the colllection is not due for exclusion, it is doubtful that the OC reporting was excluded based on expiration of its CR exclusion period.

Any charge-off on the OC account would have the exact same exclusion date of 7 yrs plus 180 days from the DOFD on the OC account.

The normal path taken for earlier deletion of a collection is to make the debt collector an offer to delete their reporting in exchange for payment of the debt.

I would not dispute the DOFD with the CRA unless you have evidence of what DOFD was reported, and that its date is inaccurate.

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@ranjen1 wrote:

Dispute it wiht the credit bureaus telling them to verify the original date of default on the original account.  They are probably misreporting that.  The date the CA got the account should not be the date of deliquency.  The date the account was opened should be the last date you made a payment to the original creditor. 

The date the collection account was opened is the date the CA acquired the debt.  It has nothing to do with when a payment was made to the OC.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.