cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can late payments on Student Loans be removed?

tag
ALLgoodABQ
Contributor

Can late payments on Student Loans be removed?

So i've been working to rebuild my credit. I've gone up almost 100 points on each with only having a few old collections removed after being paid off. I only have a couple small minor ones now from medical bills (under $200 total), and an old AT&T account. I have a secured CC with a local credit union here for $500 that I've had since September with perfect payment history. And I just bought my first car since 2008 w/o a co-signer, with capital one @ 18.99%. What it looks like is hurting me most is I have 7 student loans open, that at one point in late 2014 thru early 2015 I went 120+ days delinquent, so its showing that I have 6 late payments on each one. I've done a little searching and i've seen people talk about Good Faith letters or something like that. Will those work with FedLoan? My score would probably jump up like crazy if I could get those late payments removed. Currently I'm showing a 529 with Trans, 540 with Equifax , and I can't get into my Experian because it always tells me my answers are wrong? I'm working on that.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
mcranch720
Established Member

Re: Can late payments on Student Loans be removed?

Good Will letters - there are examples somewhere on this site, if I find them I will provide the link.

I plan on doing the same with a 30 day late on a sl from WF back in 2011. I've never sent a GW letter, but have read several success stories here.

My concern would be that it is fairly recent. What I gather is you would have to explain how your situation has changed since then, or how it was a unique issue that caused it or difficult time when it occurred.

Sorry I'm not much help, but I definitely can relate to wanting to get those lates removed!
starting stats: 4/16: 609/626/621
Goal: 750 across board
Message 2 of 10
ALLgoodABQ
Contributor

I'm sorry, I should clarify that it was 2013-2014. I was unemployed until Sept, 2014. Then became full time in 2015. I also just didn't respond to the letters they sent me. I am on a Income based repayment plan now. Sad thing is all those student loans I have are for nothing because I never finished.

Hope you have good luck with your letter. Let me know if you find something.
Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Are they federally insured or guaranteed?

If so, default is required under the Higher Education Act to be reported to the CRAs, and deletion usually will not be done until the loan has either been rehabbed or the extended credit report exclusion date under the Higher Education Act has expired.

What is the current status of the loans, and are they under any rehab program?

Message 4 of 10
ALLgoodABQ
Contributor

They are current now. I'm on a income based repayment plan.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They will update it as in good standing. I did it last month but the account was planning to drop off this year, so they went ahead and removed it from all CRAs.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many student loan payments do you have to make in the repayment program, for it to show on your credit report?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

following this. i have two showing lates.

Message 8 of 10
mcranch720
Established Member

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Found the link that has the GW letter examples. 

starting stats: 4/16: 609/626/621
Goal: 750 across board
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would take a look at the student loan board on here.  there are lots of info on individual post that may help with your question.  I got a lot of details from there.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.