Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

Can one sue Citi Bank for a bad credit report?

Can one sue Citi Bank for a bad credit report? I had accounts with City Bank and found one day they were billing me for about $4. then they began to call me on the cell phone every day, every half hour for almost three weeks as best as I recall. What happened is that I had a business account and a personal account. The business account had a credit balance of about $2. I asked there person to join the bill to my personal account when the bill came. I was told OK. That did not happen so I charged what I thought was the amount that would wipe out the credit, and tried to pay the difference at Home Depot at the time of purchase and was told I could not do that. In fact I would have to wait till I got my next bill to pay. By the time the dust had settled I got a bill and called and asked where was my credit, and was told it was in a check in the mail.... mind you that check never showed up. In the end Citi Bank reported bad credit, closed account and my credit rating dropped from 749 to 500 something. In the mean time other cards started to close my accounts. Since I believe City Bank is at fault, I think I thought to be able to sue them. Any comments. I ask this because I just found out about the credit report and other cards that I had carried for a long time, are now closed and are refusing to re open them.  Thanks.

Epic Contributor

Re: Can one sue Citi Bank for a bad credit report?

[ Edited ]

It appears that any inaccuracy in credit reporting is based on billing issues.  It seems that credit reporting is the cart behind the horse.

Action for inaccurate reporting under the FCRA only provides for damages if the reporting is shown to be either knowingly inaccurate or negligent.

FCRA 616, 617.

Issues over billing are covered under the FCBA, and includes a dispute process that provides for the production of account records.  Disputes under the FCRA dont compel documentation in order to verify.

I would suggest first making any appropriate disputes under the FCBA before moving to legal action, thus getting more facts.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.