cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone answer this? How long do 5 year old collections hurt your score?

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can someone answer this? How long do 5 year old collections hurt your score?

I've seen examples on here of folks gaining 50+ when their 7 y.o. CA fell off, thereby making it a perfectly clean report. YMMV of course.

Message 11 of 17
LoveGoodCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can someone answer this? How long do 5 year old collections hurt your score?

haha Shogun, I am going to make this work somehow.  Only 4 left and I found out LRS will work with you.  Right now I need to get CSD to work with me on the latest.

WOW llecs if a 7 year old collection came off I would be SO happy with a 50 point increase.  I am happy with what I have done already I am surprised tho my score is not that much higher than when I began fixing my credit.  I started out with a 595 or so, but now I am not so much higher than that. 

Stil waiting for some more points, but they are not coming.

4 collections left.

1 charge off

1 forclossure with ontime payments for 4 years

All falling off next year, except 3 collections.

Starting Score:
August Equifax 558 TU 600 EX 570
Current Score: Equifax FICO 642 TU FICO662 EX 651 (credit.com) 06/21/2013
Goal Score: 720 All Across

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 17
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Your points will come, just keep up the good work. Baddies hurt less over time and before you know it, you'll be in the 700 club.

My last CA dropped off showed no score change, but a year later my CO dropped off and had a 40 point increase!! Hoo Woo!

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 13 of 17
whatamess
Valued Member

2 to 5 more yrs, but they can go into charge off stage, that will remain even longer...

Handle ya bidness, It pays!
Message 14 of 17
LoveGoodCredit
Frequent Contributor

Do charge off's remain longer?

Starting Score:
August Equifax 558 TU 600 EX 570
Current Score: Equifax FICO 642 TU FICO662 EX 651 (credit.com) 06/21/2013
Goal Score: 720 All Across

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 17
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@LoveGoodCredit wrote:

CO's are the same as CA's, 7.5 years from the DoFD

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 16 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

@LoveGoodCredit wrote:

CO's are the same as CA's, 7.5 years from the DoFD

And I'll add that in some situations, depending on the creditor, the negative aspects can disappear by 7-7.5 yrs and the TL can continue to report, but report as a positive TL. Happened to a Zales CO of mine. The CO apsects disappeared around 5 yrs without any help from me and reported years and years beyond that [as a positive].

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.