Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

Can someone explain this 53 point score increase??

Okay, so equifax is terribly damaged and I am on the road to getting it back up there again. Here's the story:

I called Capital One and asked for a 30-day late removal and 60-day late removal. The lady kindly granted it and said it'd update within a few weeks. I went ahead and disputed it to make sure (you never know Smiley Tongue). I get a credit alert showing a change and saw Capital One...excited that it was the late payments off. NOPE. Lates are still on there, but my score jumped 53 points. The only thing I can tell that's different in how it's reported is it looks like they left "Balance" blank. This is really confusing because EVEN if I did paid capital one off to a $0 balance, I still have two other credit cards with $600 and $750 limits close to being maxed. Capital One's CL for me is only 500, so I'm kind of at a loss here. Anyone care to throw in their two cents?

Thanks,

Brandon

Credit Score

Chase Freedom $2,000.00 / Barclays Carnival WMC $3,500.00 / CareCredit $7,000.00 / NFCU goRewards $5,000.00 / NFCU Flashship Rewards Visa Signature $5,000.00 / NavCheck $9,000.00 / CapOne QuickSilver $1,500.00 / Express $500.00 / Victoria's Secret $500.00 / Kay Jewlers $2,000.00 / Buckle $250.00 / CreditOne $1450.00 / Dell $1,500.00 / NFM $3,000.00

Total CL Combined: 40K
Established Member

Re: Can someone explain this 53 point score increase??

It may be because they now have your account as 'in dispute.'  When an account is in dispute, the CRA's do not count it in your FICO calculation. On the down side, if they don't change the lates and remove the dispute after investigating - there is a chance that you will lose the points you just gained. 

During a dispute certain items on your report like payment history are removed from scoring. I would guess this is what is causing the score increase. Until the dispute is resolved you won't know whether the score will stay higher or go back down.

I'm not sure why you disputed in the first place if you were told the lates would be removed. The better tactic would have been to wait and see if Cap 1 followed up and actually removed the lates.

Regular Contributor

That makes sense. The reason I did that was the CSR suggested I do that as well to speed up process.

Also, if you FICO Score doesn't count lates while in dispute, would it be smart to app for something while they are up later in the future if that's the only thing hurting you?

Will update this thread if any news decreases/increases come up. Thanks for your help! 

Chase Freedom $2,000.00 / Barclays Carnival WMC $3,500.00 / CareCredit $7,000.00 / NFCU goRewards $5,000.00 / NFCU Flashship Rewards Visa Signature $5,000.00 / NavCheck $9,000.00 / CapOne QuickSilver $1,500.00 / Express $500.00 / Victoria's Secret $500.00 / Kay Jewlers $2,000.00 / Buckle $250.00 / CreditOne $1450.00 / Dell $1,500.00 / NFM $3,000.00

Total CL Combined: 40K
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.