Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone help me please

tag
Mzvanessa
Contributor

Can someone help me please

Hello all I receive a letter today in the mail from a CA stating that I owe $25 dollars to this doctor office for a missed appointment. The letter stated that if I don’t notify them in 30 days after receiving this letter stating that I dispute the validity of the debt the office will assume that this is my debt.

My question is what should I do? My insurance card that was sent to me went missing at the beginning of the year never got it. I started receiving a bill in February stating that I owe a doctor office $25 dollars for not showing up for a new appointment. I called the office and spoke with the Manger telling her I never called to make an appointment and that my insurance card went missing at the beginning of the year.

The office did not have my SS#, my DOB not even my phone number the number they had no longer worked but it wasn't my number. They just had my name and address she did not want to hear that someone called ,and it wasn't me. She just stated that they had my name and address and that's all that they needed. She ask did I call the police to report my insurance card was stolen and I said no because I thought it was lost in the mail. She stated that the bill belongs to me then.So I did not pay the $25 dollars because I was thinking that they could not do anything to me without that pertinent information I was wrong.Smiley Sad

Can someone please help me and tell me what should I do? Should I reply back to the letter disputing it or should I just pay the stupid bill. I really do not want this to end up on my report.

TU: Fico 678 6-19-13 677 8/23/13
EQ: Fico 665 7-5-13 665 8/23/13
EX: Fico 681 Lender pulled 8/23/13

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
mocha82
Regular Contributor

Re: Can someone help me please

@Mzvanessa wrote:

Hello all I receive a letter today in the mail from a CA stating that I owe $25 dollars to this doctor office for a missed appointment. The letter stated that if I don’t notify them in 30 days after receiving this letter stating that I dispute the validity of the debt the office will assume that this is my debt.

My question is what should I do? My insurance card that was sent to me went missing at the beginning of the year never got it. I started receiving a bill in February stating that I owe a doctor office $25 dollars for not showing up for a new appointment. I called the office and spoke with the Manger telling her I never called to make an appointment and that my insurance card went missing at the beginning of the year.

The office did not have my SS#, my DOB not even my phone number the number they had no longer worked but it wasn't my number. They just had my name and address she did not want to hear that someone called ,and it wasn't me. She just stated that they had my name and address and that's all that they needed. She ask did I call the police to report my insurance card was stolen and I said no because I thought it was lost in the mail. She stated that the bill belongs to me then.So I did not pay the $25 dollars because I was thinking that they could not do anything to me without that pertinent information I was wrong.Smiley Sad

Can someone please help me and tell me what should I do? Should I reply back to the letter disputing it or should I just pay the stupid bill. I really do not want this to end up on my report.

I think that you should DV the collection agency.  I'm pretty sure that they cannot validate the debt if they only have a name and address.  Also call your insurance co. (if you haven't already) to see if there are suspicious claims that have been issued under your id card #.  See what they can do regarding changing your id card #.  The good news is that most insurance co. don't use your ssn as your id card # anymore so the person probably doesn't have any other personal info. of yours.  With the rising cost of healthcare, medical identity theft is on the rise.  But the medical  $25 bill from the doctor's office shouldn't be a problem at all IMO.

Closed on my 1st home on: 11/30/2011
First Guaranty Mortgage Corporation (FGMC)
Starting Score:Equifax: 490 (01/14/2011)Transunion: 498 (01/14/2011)
Current Score: Equifax: 609(07/09/2012) Transunion: 644 (10/14/2011) Experian: 593 Lender Pull (08/22/2011)

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can someone help me please

@Mzvanessa wrote:

I'd file a police report, and DV the CA to start.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.