cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Reach Debt Collector - What to Do?

tag
Alberio
Contributor

Can't Reach Debt Collector - What to Do?

There is a payment for professional development that my employer was supposed to make, but didn't.  It went to collections and my employer has now asked that I pay directly and get reimbursed.  It is my credit on the line, and I have worked so hard to pull it up almost 100 points in the last year, so I just want to fix this ASAP.  I do have credit monitoring with myFICO and I have not seen this collection show up on my report. 

I keep trying to call the collector (CISCO, Inc.) because I want to ensure that if I pay, it will not be reported to the CBs.  But no one answers at the extension I was given.  I have left two voice mails, but have not received a call back.

Since I have not seen it on my credit monitoring anywhere, can I assume they have not reported and just go pay it online?  (They give me the option to pay onlineby check or credit card, but I don't want to do that if they have reported or will report to the CBs anyway and then I lose my leverage to PFD).

Insight?  Advice?  Thanks!!

Starting Score: 644 (EQ) 646 (EX) 670 (TU) as of 11/2013
Current Score: 732 (EQ myFico) 740 (EX myFico) 740 (TU myFICO) as of 8-25-14
Lender Pulled Scores (3-19-14): 709(EX)/700(TU)/670(EQ)
Goal Score: 710 (Made it!!)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Can't Reach Debt Collector - What to Do?

Red flags everywhere....

Your SSN is tied into this agreement, that should be company provided, based on furthering retention/skills.

They can't pay this bill, haven't paid this bill, and now are telling you to pay it, and will "reimburst you?" 

Big company, small company?

Signs of financial trouble in the workplace?

Only way in the past that I've done out of pocket was "per diem," and nothing more. They want from me, they pay for it.

Message 2 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Agreed - red flags.

If you took the class, signed the agreement, pay it asap, and don't wait for a phone call.

I would be concerned that the employer did not pay the bill and is now asking you to pay and submit for reimbursement.  Unless there was a miscommunication?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

dispute it online. I am guessing they wont respond to that either. You could file with the BBB too.

Message 4 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

BBB is a last resort in the rebuilding process and IMHO worthless

Disputes 

PFD's 

GW's 

and CFPB are more efficient in getting results related to credit 

This is where complaints should be filed with a agency dedicated to resolve complaints related to the CB, CA's  

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've used BB twice last week for 2 different scenarios. In the case of a collection account that showed up on my CR this past January, I was able to get it removed via my dispute through BBB after numerous atempts of over the phone talks with the OC and CA and DVs with all of the CRAs. Never rule out any option IMHO

Message 6 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've used BB twice last week for 2 different scenarios. In the case of a collection account that showed up on my CR this past January, I was able to get it removed via my dispute through BBB after numerous atempts of over the phone talks with the OC and CA and DVs with all of the CRAs. Never rule out any option IMHO

Re-read last resort IMHO Lol

Chance of BBB results are removal and sold to someone else who reports again but now its a new baddie and you pay for it again scoring wise and the process starts again

CFPB is almost certainly final.... done.... over..... don't want to deal with a GOV agency designed to fight for the consumer IMHO again Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chance of BBB results are removal and sold to someone else who reports again but now its a new baddie and you pay for it again scoring wise and the process starts again

CFPB is almost certainly final.... done.... over..... don't want to deal with a GOV agency designed to fight for the consumer IMHO again Smiley Wink

I understood that you stating that it is last resort. I am more defending against it being a worthless route to take, stating so could imply to one to not even try disputing with them and I wanted to be sure that noone takes it that way. Nothing is garaunteed in credit cleanup but perseverance rules all

Message 8 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I understood that you stating that it is last resort. I am more defending against it being a worthless route to take, stating so could imply to one to not even try disputing with them and I wanted to be sure that noone takes it that way. Nothing is garaunteed in credit cleanup but perseverance rules all

Agreed 

But IMHO and i'm entitled to that the fact that it might come back and hurt you again to me is a waste of time and energy but as always YMMV and I wish all luck in whichever route you choose 

However filing a complaint with an organization setup by the federal government for the protection of consumers credit related should trump the time spent with the BBB....IMHO

This is all the CFPB deals with per their own statement and I quote 

"Have an issue with a financial product or service? We'll forward your complaint to the company and work to get a response from them"

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed 

But IMHO and i'm entitled to that the fact that it might come back and hurt you again to me is a waste of time and energy but as always YMMV and I wish all luck in whichever route you choose 

However filing a complaint with an organization setup by the federal government for the protection of consumers credit related should trump the time spent with the BBB....IMHO

This is all the CFPB deals with per their own statement and I quote 

"Have an issue with a financial product or service? We'll forward your complaint to the company and work to get a response from them"

+1 I agree

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.