cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Win

tag

Can't Win

I've posted to this board once before, regarding continuing mis-reporting of a highly irritating derogatory account through cellphone provider Alltel.  I admit that I owed them $94.00 and it went to collection and was charged off.  I don't know how (honestly) I missed all of those notices that thye must have sent, and I certainly had the money to pay the bill...so that's confusing enough.  This was in 2006.  When I regained consciousness, I PAID PROFIT AND LOSS.  Nevertheless, it continues to drag down my scores, along with some other very stupid missed payments (I simply had too many cards and was adapting to online banking). 

ALLTEL is reporting this twice (at least according to TransUnion).  I have contacted Alltel and they claim they only have one record of it....and they don't recognize the account numbers from my report.  

I disputed with TransUnion that these were duplicates of each other.  $94.00 on both, same dates, etc.  They "investigated" and I got my response in a week....no change!  So, Alltel is telling me one thing and TransUnion is insisting (without looking at it obviously) that it's being correctly reported.  I've written letters AND called.  

I don't know how much affect this is having.  My scores are in the 650's-660's (they were as high as 695).  And I can't get this corrected, and I can't get my scores improved.  AMEX has thrashed me....taking my limit from $6500 to $500!!!  So, I closed that card.  I've paid OFF all of my personal cards to where I have ZERO revolving debt!!!!  I have a car lease and my mortgages, period.  Household income is well over $200K and I'm being treated like a deadbeat.

Granted, I'm an idiot and careless....I've learned that lesson.  But, what else can I do to get someone to LOOK at this misreporting??  Two duplicate accounts....TU even TOLD me that they would come OFF my report a month apart in 2012!!!!  But I can't get them to recognize that it's the same debt. 

I've tried the Goodwill route and Alltel assures me that they are not reporting this twice.  What next?  And what else can I do since I've paid off all my credit cards, have a 30 year credit history , no public records, and NO inquiries???

Something is just dreadfully wrong.....is it the current financial crisis??? Are the reporting agencies being harsher than the lenders??? Or for the lenders?  Is it a vast conspiracy?? LOL.

Dazed, Confused and Tired.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't Win

This is one possibility.

Usually when this happens they account is a Chrgeoff and sold to someone else who posts a collection in the name of the original creditor in this case Altel. However the 2 that seem like copies should have different addresses while most or all of the other information is the same such as name and debt amount. It can be confusing. Chances are you paid the collection company not Altel. Both stay on your credit report. Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If ilovepizza is right, then the only option here is to GW both the OC and the CA separately to remove their reporting. Keep sending GW letters until they get tired.

If ilovepizza is not correct, the one must assume misreporting by Altel to the CRA. Misreporting is a violation of the FCRA.

After I exhausted all amicable requests to them, I would notify Altel that they are in violation and give them 5 days to amend and correct their reporting or file suit.

If it comes to it, filing and serving a Small Court suit costs less than $50.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it show Alltel reporting both of them or is Alltel reporting one and a CA reporting one?

Can you copy/paste the entries from your report, leaving out sensitive information?

Message 4 of 5

Thanks to everyone who offered solutions/advice.  NO, both are reported from Alltel, although Alltel indicated that it would be a CA that would be reporting it as well. I will cut and paste the info here as well...I'm open to any suggestions.  i'd hate to have to sue.  Alltel keeps telling me that they are not misreporting it and none of the other CRA are listing it twice.  Only TU.  Everytime I dispute, though, it seems that the clock gets moved up.  Frustrating.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.