Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't dispute this twice... what to do?

tag
chancep
Valued Member

Can't dispute this twice... what to do?

I had a government overpayment from a military benefit in 2013. A collection account was created for the overpayment and it was 90 days late before the money was taken from future payment. Lots of confusion on my behalf but it resulted in a 90 day late on my credit.

I recently disputed this, as I was told I could dispute it by the VA and they would remove it. It was removed from EQ and TU, but EX updated it saying I have a 90 day late on the account in January of 2017!! I can't dispute this item again, because I already disputed it a month ago. What do I do? Calling the VA gets me no where.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't dispute this twice... what to do?

Did you already file for a reverify?  If not you can do that.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can't dispute this twice... what to do?

You could, rather than calling the VA, send them a direct dispute, thus forcing consideration by the OC while bypassing the CRA entirely.

Under the direct dispute rules (16 CFR 660.4), the VA could dismiss a direct dispute as "frivolous or irrelevant"  if it is "substantially the same" as a prior dispute submitted via a CRA, but they may decide not dismiss on that basis, or may not even be aware of that ability.  If they dont dismiss, they must complete their investigation within 30 days, so they may delete.

As a side note, if you have any additional information that was not previously submitted to the CRA in your prior dispute, be sure to include it with your direct dispute.

The direct dispute rules state that a dispute that includes additional supporting information is not "substantially the same" as a prior dispute, and thus will avoid their ability to dismiss your dispute as frivolous or irrelevant

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.