cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get home equity loan with tax lien.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't get home equity loan with tax lien.

Nothing yet. My lean was only reported to experian though and my score jumped 28 points out of nowhere. I checked my credit reports thinking maybe it was reported as paid but as far as I can tell it still reports the same. And there have been no major changes to my report. No utilization changes. No derogatory items removed. Nothing. So I'm wondering if maybe it's reported as paid but when I pull my reports (from myfico and my experian credit tracker membership) it doesn't show up on my end. I doubt that though. I just don't understand the 28 point jump.

Message 21 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason you were approved for a car and not the mortgage is because theres no tax lien against the car. What a tax lien means is if you default, the tax lien gets paid first from the proceeds of the auction of your home and the bank gets whatever is left over. Banks always want to be first in line, because that house is the collateral backing the loan.

You may be able to do a traditional cash out and have the tax lien paid at closing from the proceeds.
Message 22 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I know that. But where I was trying to borrow 15,000 and told them I was using it to pay the lien off why would  it matter? The house is worth just over 350K and is completely paid off. Even if I didn't pay the lien off and defaulted and they had to forclose there would be way more than enough to back my loan after the state took their money. But I even told the bank I would make paying the lien a condition of the loan. 

Message 23 of 42
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Today I received notice that my payments for the Amnesty program have been approved so I don't owe them anything.

I haen't heard anything about the liens being released though. Maybe that will follow in a few days. The notice date is Dec 1st.  I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to see what they say.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 24 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received that today too. Still no word on the lien either
Message 25 of 42
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I called this morning and was told the lien releases for the Amnesty Program will be sent out in the next week or two. He told me to send a copy to each of the credit bureaus. They will mark the liens as paid but they won't remove them.  He said the IRS will expunge them from credit reports but the state won't.

With that said, I'm going to look at this as it doesn't hurt to try. I'm still going to try to have these removed. I have two liens. One from Feb of '09 and the other from Nov of '13.  I want these things gone! It might not happen but it definately won't happen if I don't try.  This link isn't much help to us but it talks about how the IRS does it -

http://blog.smartcredit.com/2011/02/25/removing-irs-tax-liens-from-credit-files/

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 26 of 42
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I still haven't received a copy of my lien releases so I just called to get an update. I was told they have a huge backlog so it might be months. Yes... months! I was told a week or two when I called at the beginning of the month. Between this and finding that the liens will most likely stay on my reports, I'm not feeling as good about paying them. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 27 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least they will eventually come off. I believe the 7 years started when we paid. I hope it's not from the day they finally release the lien
Message 28 of 42
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Update for this month. I called again to check on the status of the lien releases. I was told that they are still working on them. The woman I spoke with said that I should see something from them soon. The wait continues... 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 29 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any idea when the paid date will be once they release it? I mean if this takes another three months or more is it going to show that it was paid since the day we actually did this which was the end of October? As I understand it takes seven years from the date it was paid to come off your reports. I hope that 7 year clock is already ticking.
Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.