Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't seem to get out of the 400 zone

tag
Jesusgirl70
Established Member

Can't seem to get out of the 400 zone

I need advice. What's the best way to advance?  FICO EQ 472 TU 555  Not sure what my EX is but fako says 502.

here is the dirt.  Experian

First premier  $300 cl  bal  $250  good standing

Avenue     $250 cl  bal $143   good standing

Jessica London  CO paid Settlement showing 90 days late

Justice court  paid  company no longer exists and in dispute

justice court  paid

Advance recovery systems  paid medical collection

First premier  CO  due to fall off Nov 2013

healthcare financial  3  medical CA accounts  2 paid  one currently being paid $850

midnight velvet  CO $316

Paycheck loans      $39,900  written off Fraudulent account  has been disputed twice and documentation sent in CB won't delete.

RJM acquisitions  has agreed to PFD $51

Bank plus   2 accounts   paid in full  good standing

Car loan  paid in full good standing 

line of credit at credit union   good standing  $1000

Springleaf financial  $3,916  bal $2,477 Good standing

4 hard inquiries in 2 years

HELLLLPPPPP!!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can't seem to get out of the 400 zone

Paying the balance to under 10% on those cards and letting them report would probably boost you up over the 500 mark. Your First Premier Is @ 85% utilization and that is hurting your score...along with the over stuff.

Getting your utilization in check is the fastest way to boost your score.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

For the collections and/or COs that are paid send them GW letters asking for the account removal.

Same for anything with just late payments.

For the fraud accounts, fill out a police report and FTC fraud affidavit.  Send those to the CRAs and ask them to block the account.  Also send to the OC/CA and ask for all documentations pertaining to the account.

Message 3 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@RTOrockstar wrote:

@Paying the balance to under 10% on those cards and letting them report would probably boost you up over the 500 mark. Your First Premier Is @ 85% utilization and that is hurting your score...along with the over stuff.

Getting your utilization in check is the fastest way to boost your score.

Good luck!

+1

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 8
credit_cat
New Visitor

I was in a similar situation not even a year ago. My score was in the higher 400's but still, very very low. I never thought it was going to change or get any better and I felt overwhelmed as I'm sure you do. I'm not sure what your age is, but I'm 27, and it's very embarassing to be in your twenties and have terrible credit.

One of the things I did was take advantage of a free credit counselor at my university. I didn't even know they had something like that. If you don't have access to someone like that through an educational institution, I suggest you look for one online and do your homework and make sure they are not a scammer. I want to say that the National Foundation for Credit Counseling has resources for referrals to free or low cost programs to help you with financial advice. The advice that I got from my counselor at the school was great and it helped me so I'll share it with you.

You can't just pretend your debt doesn't exist and hope it disappears. If you don't pay off those collections, you're not going to get out of the hole you're in. So she sat down with me and looked through my pile of collections letters and we decided to prioritize and to make sure the collection companies were indeed reputable companies and not just predators buying zombie debts over and over again. I was lucky that a few of my cards had their own collections departments (AMEX has their own collections department, as far as I know, they don't sell debt to collection companies like Portofolio or RJM) so we sat down and we made a list and I had to call and say I'm paying the full amount (not the settlement amount, the whole enchilada) and I did. I sent some places as little as $10-15 a month and I finally got about 50% of my collections debt taken care of. When I completed paying one account, I'd call up a new collections company to set up payment for the next. And it has taken me four years but I'm in the 600's now, steering towards the 700's hopefully there by fall 2014/winter 2015.

The next thing you want to do is get a secured credit card or a rebuilding card. I never had a secured card. I took out a student loan and this helped my credit score a bit and somehow it helped it enough for me to be able to qualify for a rebuilding card with a company I had never heard of--Merrick Bank. They sent me a nice little letter and I applied and I got the card with a $500 limit back in November 2012. It is now August 2013 and my Merrick card has a $1200 limit and they report each month about my timliness in payment history. That has helped BIG TIME. If you get your debts paid off, at least half or most, and you get your hands on a rebuilder or secured card that reports to ALL the credit bureaus, you will see a change in your score. But you have to be patient. I highly suggest that you find someone to mentor you as it helped me a lot.

Good luck to you! The most important thing is that you cannot be discouraged and do not be hard on yourself. You WILL see the light of day again. Cat Very Happy

TU-602
EX-608
EQ-619
Message 5 of 8
Jesusgirl70
Established Member

Thanks guys.  I wasn't sure what the bigger  problem was , my utl or the collections.  Any info on secured cards with no credit pull?

Message 6 of 8
907grown
Established Contributor

Definitely need to get credit util way down.
Good luck!

Starting Score: 460
Current Score: EQ 764, TU 764, EX 740,
BOA AK AIR 30,000, Discover IT 6300, Freedom 25,300, Barclays RMC 15,660, Ring 15,000, BCE 15,000, QS17,000,AARP 15,000, ChaseFU 8,000,AND A LOT MORE!
Message 7 of 8
burghpa
Regular Contributor

i had pathetic 500 score in Jan this year, then 550 by march, and couple of months ago I brought down my Util to less than 10%. Right now I am at 640+.

I have two paid collection, 6 other baddies, none of the prime banks won't give me any credit because it happend recently. (none of the baddies will fall of for 3-4 years, writing GW every month)

Good luck, you will see good score improvement once UTIL is low.

2013 Feb EQ: 550 | 2017 Feb EQ: 722

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.