cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Federal Trade Commission compel a junk debt buyer to prove the chain of title?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can the Federal Trade Commission compel a junk debt buyer to prove the chain of title?

Hey everyone, if a junk debt buyer would come after me for a zombie debt, could I contact the FTC for the purpose of getting them to force the JDB to show proof of the chain  of title and that they really own the debt and have a right to collect on it?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can the Federal Trade Commission compel a junk debt buyer to prove the chain of title?

No. Thats up to a court of law, not the FTC.

If a JDB attempts to sue for a zombie debt (within SOL), you can demand such proof. If it's old debt beyond the allowable reporting period (and beyond SOL) a C&D letter is all thats needed.

Google for the mini-book "Defending Junk Debt Buyer Lawsuits" by Peter A Holland. Its available for free all over the internet. Also be sure to visit the forums at www.debtorboards.com - lots of information on defending against that sort of thing. 

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can the Federal Trade Commission compel a junk debt buyer to prove the chain of title?

You also might check out your state law.

I recollect a few states that require, as part of or prior to any legal action, provision to the consumer of proof of ownership.

South Carolina comes to mind.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.