cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the OC pull back the debt even after it's been sold to a CA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can the OC pull back the debt even after it's been sold to a CA?

I have two CO that have been sold to CA. I havem't paid as of yet. My question is, is it technically possible for both OC to pull back the debt so that I can do a PFD? Because as I know, CA have no authority to remove CO from reports, only the OC can so I want to do everything I can to deal with them instead.

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ihatemyscore
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can the OC pull back the debt even after it's been sold to a CA?

Once they are sold the OC cannot pull them back. They can only be pulled back if they are assigned. You have to PFD the CA

BK: 7 filed 3/31/12 - Discharged 6/27/12
Made some poor choices and life snowballed
BK: 13 filed 7/29/16 - on a 36th month time out
No CC - No Loans - Student Loans all current.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, luckily, neither of the CA that my former accounts were sold to are even showing up on my report. 

So does that mean, the best way to get off my CO is to pay off the CA before they put it on my report and then send a bunch of GW to the OC to get them to take off the original CO?

Message 3 of 6
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Sure it was sold vs ca hired to collect
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 6
2NE1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, luckily, neither of the CA that my former accounts were sold to are even showing up on my report. 

So does that mean, the best way to get off my CO is to pay off the CA before they put it on my report and then send a bunch of GW to the OC to get them to take off the original CO?

If these accounts aren't showing as collections on your report yet, you better contact the OC ASAP to find out whether your accounts have been sold or not before you deal with CAs!

Message 5 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If these accounts aren't showing as collections on your report yet, you better contact the OC ASAP to find out whether your accounts have been sold or not before you deal with CAs!

The orignal post clearly indicates these accounts have been sold to a collection agency.

I would contact the OC, and get the 800 number for the collection company that owns this debt. They usually won't give you the name, but they usually have contact information.

Once you get the 800 number (or name or whatever you can get) -- research it online to see if you can find out what company owns the debt. Usually, just a Google search of the phone number will determine which company owns it.

Then your steps at this point are really up to you.  You could call and try for a settlement, you can call and get the account information then send a DV or a PFD. You could ride it out and see if it ever reports. The way I got a couple charge offs removed was to just contact the CA, I paid in full (they were small charge offs) and then when I GWed the OC, I copied in the letter that shows I paid off the debt in full. Although the OC was never made whole of the debt (they wrote it off, or sold it for pennies on the dollar) just the fact I paid it off maybe put your GW attempt over the top, at least it did for me.

YMMV with all of these suggestions, but that is how I would approach it.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.