cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can writing a GW letter cause old debts to appear more recent? Or hurt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can writing a GW letter cause old debts to appear more recent? Or hurt?

I would like to write GW letters for the following debts or incorrect info. This is everything negative on mine and husbands CRs. Tips? Warnings?

US Bank -

One late payment, showing Oct 2011 on Equifax and Transunion, Four late payments fall of 2011, showing on Experian. Card member for 10 years. High UTI but no other lates. Should I ask for them to be GW adjusted at the risk that US Bank will update all three bureaus with the four late pays?

Verizon Wireless -

Canceled service in April 2014. Final bill went into collection July 2014. Settled Dec 2014 for 70% of full balance to CA. CA verbally agreed to remove collection from report, has since denied rquests to do so. (Customer since 2002 of Verizon) Think VZ might honor CA's PFD?

Local Municipal Court -

Traffic ticket received in October 2008, PIF to CA on June 19th 2009, reported to Transunion and Experian

Winco (grocery store)
Returned check approx $75, unpaid, included in bankruptcy discharge Nov 2012, original date Oct 2009, reported to Equifax only
Returned check approx $50, unpaid, included in bankruptcy discharge Nov 2012, original date Oct 2009, reported to Equifax only

Apartment ETF-

$800, lease contract broken August 2008, PIF to CA Oct 2008, reported to all three credit bureaus. Do you think I could get an early delete, six months shy of 7 years?

Progressive-

$94, unpaid/included in bankruptcy discharge Nov 2012, date of last activity Dec 2009, reported only to Transunion. This one is the one debt I was completely unaware of and I believe I was actually a good standing customer with this company during this time, not sure how this debt exists, first time I became aware of it was when it showed up on my CR after my BK7 discharge. Should I press for more info? Verify its mine?

Public record -

$806, unpaid utility bill, included in bankruptcy discharge Nov 2012, original date unknown, approx summer 2009, judgement date Dec 2010, Equifax records as amount $0, status as satisfied, Transunion records as amount $806, status as unknown. Should I ask TU to change amount $0 and satisfied like EQ?

Capital One CC-

Included in bankruptcy discharge Nov 2012, last Activity date August 2009, 28 late payments in 2010, 2011, 2012, reported to Experian only, no late payments reported to TU/EQ. Could these late payments be removed?

Local Credit Union:
Revolving account, included in bankruptcy, last activity date not listed, 26 late payments in 2010, 2011, 2012, late payments reported to Experian only, no late payments listed on TU or EQ, and listed last activity date of Aug 2009/Nov 2009 on TU/EQ: Could these late pays be removed?

Should I just leave these alone? What do you think?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can writing a GW letter cause old debts to appear more recent? Or hurt?

Bump.

I know what I wrote is long, but does anyone have advice?

Message 2 of 9
Strangerinthedark
Established Member

I would wait for the aprtment etf, you have one more month of waiting to request early exclusion from Transunion (I would wait till the end of next month so that you have a better chance), and four months to wait for early exclusion on EQ and EX.   Sorry I can't help with the other derogs, but I'm a newbie myself.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not bother with anything that was IIB. The BK overshadows all previous IIB items. There are some folks that argue otherwise, but I've seen little evidence that removal of IIB derogs has any effect on scoring.

US Bank - Those kinds of reporting discrepancies are always a gamble. GW always runs the risk of them 'updating' with correct info. Are the lates all 30 day lates?

Verizon - CA can only promise to remove their own reporting. If they have failed to honor their verbal promise, remind them that they made a binding verbal agreement, that their phone recordings (as well as your) are admissible evidence of a verbal contract, and should you decide to pursue their breach of contract they would be additionally liable for a violation of FDCPA, 'lying to obtain payment of a debt'. Verizon's reporting would require GW request.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks you both, the exact kind of advice I'm looking for. I know almost all of these are a gamble and it's good to hear what others might do or think.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Bank, yes all 30 day, I'm not sure of the dates on the Experian report, except for Sept 2011 for one of them.

Message 6 of 9
growing123
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would like to write GW letters for the following debts or incorrect info. This is everything negative on mine and husbands CRs. Tips? Warnings?

Verizon Wireless -

Canceled service in April 2014. Final bill went into collection July 2014. Settled Dec 2014 for 70% of full balance to CA. CA verbally agreed to remove collection from report, has since denied rquests to do so. (Customer since 2002 of Verizon) Think VZ might honor CA's PFD?

Should I just leave these alone? What do you think?

Not saying this will work for you but, ya never know.  I paid a CA and they promised to send me a receipt in the mail.  They never did (i asked several times) so i filed a BBB complaint for 'not honoring their word'.  They ended up deleting the TL from my reports...I have yet to get a receipt in the mail.  lol 

So, maybe you could file a complaint with the BBB stating they failed to keep their word with the PFD?

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

On the judgment, it needs to be updated to 0 balance IIB, you could even file in the court it was granted a motion to vacate on grounds it was IIB, when its granted its gone from your CRs now. Anything that was IIB it needs to be reporting 0 balance IIB if its not dispute it directly with the creditor with demand for proper reporting. Lates can be reported on a TL prior to the BK filing but their inlcusion in the BK is the biggie and I see no reason to go for trying to remove the lates it wont produce much.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Super helpful!! Thank you!  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.