cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you debt verify a medical collection?

tag
bearsfan34
Regular Contributor

Can you debt verify a medical collection?

The reason I'm asking is because I honestly remember going to the urgent care last year. I don't want to pay it if I really didn't, and I had never gotten any mail or phone calls about it. The collection just randomly showed up on my report. TIA!

Starting Score: EX 631 EQ 629 TU 646 1/18
Current Score: __
Goal Score: 710

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Can you debt verify a medical collection?

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they have reported, they are required to have sent dunning notice within 5 days thereafter.

Their dunning notice is required to identify at least the current creditor, which should give some idea of the source of the debt.

If you want more, such as requiring them to state they have investigated the accuracy of the debt, or provide the name of the original creditor, or an itemization of the debt, then a DV would serve those puposes.

Being a bit foggy on the debt, it is probably prudent to send a DV.

Message 3 of 6
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

The collection agency can probably tell who is the originator is. I say if its already reported, don't bother calling about it or paying it. After a few years, it will drop off. There's only a certain amount of time they can try to collect the debt and if unsuccessful, its pretty much "forgiven" in a sense.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

A debt never goes away and the CAs can attempt to collect forever.  It cannot be reported after 7.5 years from the DoFD.  As for the suing SOL they can't sue and win if expired SOL is claimed as an affirmative defense.

Message 5 of 6
upwithfico
Established Member

I just DV'd a medical collection. If anything, it's good to know exactly what is owed in writing as opposed to what they are reporting. I also feel like it keeps them honest, because I know some (probably not medical but others) collection agencies use the credit reporting as an arm twister. I don't deny my medical collection I just want to open dialog with them (since they only ever contacted me by phone, NEVER in writing which is ludicrous) and have them deal with me in a more professional manner. 

My med collection is young (less than 2 years) so I feel it's in my best interest to work at getting it paid and removed.

Starting Score '14: 638
Current Score '14: 651
Goal Score '14: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Gardening...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.