cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can your credit file be too limited to score?

tag
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Can your credit file be too limited to score?

So, now that I have filed Ch. 7 BK, I will literally have no accounts on my credit report except student loans.

Will this mean I will have a credit report that is too limited to accurately score, or, how does that work?  I did not have any chargeoffs, collections, late payments (except for when we filed BK, we had to stop paying), so, I am just curious.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Can your credit file be too limited to score?

You are rebucketted into a group of consumers that have derogatory information on their credit reports. BK 7 will be listed as a Public Record on your CR however , the impack of it lessens over time. Once it is removed in 10 yrs from the filing date and their is no derogatory information on your file you will then be rebucketted into another group of consumers that never had derogatory information ever. Hopes that make sense to you.

DaBears

Message 2 of 11
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

What about the payment history of tradelines used? Those are still in your records and will be sufficient to generate a score. Your scores prior to bk will not go to zero after the bk discharge.

Message 3 of 11
DaBears
Senior Contributor

All those accounts IIB will be deleted after 7 yrs. Hence it's always good to start to rebuild credit asap. 

Message 4 of 11
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

The payment history was flawless prior to filing. I noticed in my TU and EX CRs, my payment history was deleted.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 5 of 11
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

They'll take everything off the tradelines except included in bankruptcy. no payment history. nothing. it'll show 0 balance.
Message 6 of 11
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

So then really all they can score off of is the AAoA?

As I mentioned previously, there were no negatives prior to filing, so I'm just curious what they would score, aside from the bankruptcy filing?
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 7 of 11
Galaim
Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

So, now that I have filed Ch. 7 BK, I will literally have no accounts on my credit report except student loans.

Will this mean I will have a credit report that is too limited to accurately score, or, how does that work?  I did not have any chargeoffs, collections, late payments (except for when we filed BK, we had to stop paying), so, I am just curious.

Abso-flippin-lutely it can. I cleaned up "too well" (mortgage broker's words) from identity theft and when I paid off my student loans, left myself scoreless. I was fortunate that my husband had two cards he could add me to as joint user, so I ended up with a 620 when we bought our house. Now, two years later, I'm working hard on hitting mid-7's by summer. Smiley Happy It's do-able. Take a look at the "BK to 700 in 2 years" thread for some good ideas on rebuilding. I wish I'd known about that resource 3+ years ago!

Gardening since 12/01/13 with an escape on 4/22/14 for a good cause
Scores: 05/01/10: thin file/no score 08/11/11: 620 all (mortgage FICO) 04/25/14: 705 TU (Barclay) 695 EX (FNBO) 621 EQ (FAKO) In My Wallet:: Wells Rewards Visa $7k, Care Credit $5k, Wells Care Credit $3.6k, NFBO Overstock $4.5k, BarclayCard $2.5k, Capital One $300, Chase $1.8k, Lane Bryant $1.75k, QVC $1.7k, Best Buy $1k, Chase Amazon Visa $500, Target RED $500, Torrid (Comenity) $350, Macys $300, TOTAL $31k CL, 36% util

Message 8 of 11
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Yea. See my issue is I need an auto loan post BK. So, I think my score may be a victim of too little stuff reporting. I'm waiting for myFICO to fix my account so I can get an idea of my score, but until then I have credit karma and credit sesame. Both FAKO I know, but one says 689 and the other is 599, so i have no idea.

Argh. Smiley Sad

Just ready to start the rebuild.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 9 of 11
Galaim
Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:
Yea. See my issue is I need an auto loan post BK. So, I think my score may be a victim of too little stuff reporting. I'm waiting for myFICO to fix my account so I can get an idea of my score, but until then I have credit karma and credit sesame. Both FAKO I know, but one says 689 and the other is 599, so i have no idea.

Argh. Smiley Sad

Just ready to start the rebuild.

You totally have my sympathy - been there. It's super hard, and a giant PITA, but you'll get there.

Gardening since 12/01/13 with an escape on 4/22/14 for a good cause
Scores: 05/01/10: thin file/no score 08/11/11: 620 all (mortgage FICO) 04/25/14: 705 TU (Barclay) 695 EX (FNBO) 621 EQ (FAKO) In My Wallet:: Wells Rewards Visa $7k, Care Credit $5k, Wells Care Credit $3.6k, NFBO Overstock $4.5k, BarclayCard $2.5k, Capital One $300, Chase $1.8k, Lane Bryant $1.75k, QVC $1.7k, Best Buy $1k, Chase Amazon Visa $500, Target RED $500, Torrid (Comenity) $350, Macys $300, TOTAL $31k CL, 36% util

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.