Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can zombie debt report monthly?

tag
nmjacobs
Contributor

Can zombie debt report monthly?

I have two collections that have DOFD of 2010 but they continue to report monthly. These are beyond SOL in my state. I know they will continue to stay on my reports until the 7 year mark but can the JDB continue to report these every month? I believe the updated reporting is hurting my scores.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can zombie debt report monthly?

@nmjacobs wrote:
I have two collections that have DOFD of 2010 but they continue to report monthly. These are beyond SOL in my state. I know they will continue to stay on my reports until the 7 year mark but can the JDB continue to report these every month? I believe the updated reporting is hurting my scores.

Of course they can and will until the very end.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess so, vc I'm having the same issue.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nmjacobs wrote:

Being out of the SOL doesn't preclude them reporting, especially if they are SPing your reports and seeing that you are making process.  By doing so, they put you in the position of decided whether or not you can take it hurting your score or settle and be rid of them.  Can you start requesting EE from the bureaus?

Message 4 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What is hurting the score is that the debt is remaining unpaid for an increased length of time.

Updates are how FICO determines that the debt remains unpaid, and thus updates the lenght of delinquency, similar to reporting of increased monthly delinquencies.

You can prevent updates by paying the debt. 

Message 5 of 13
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

nmjacobs,

I am sending you a private message also

Do you know if this CA bought it from your OC (original creditor) or if it passed through many hands?

Did it just pop up after several years of not reporting? that can matter to prove zombie status and the CA is a serious Junk Debt Buyer (JDB).

or have you seen it go through several hands on your reports? do you still have those reports?

If it is a JDB and zombie, then consider the Debt Validation route particularly if you are sure of the DOFD.

In the writings of some of the Law Firms that deal with this stuff, there are indications that a JDB who "knowingly" posts a Debt out of SOL to credit report is in violation of the law, and can be sued for it. So a DV process could get it wiped out for you.

Let us know what happens.

Mike

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike, the one I have Hass passed from concord, to harvard , to commonwealth financial. Does that make a difference to how long it stays on. Also , how do I find the DOFD experience is showing this month after if updating
Message 7 of 13
nmjacobs
Contributor

One collection is originally from Verizon. It went straight to Pinnacle who has assigned it to various collectors over the years. It was set to come off 11/17. It was removed last week but I'm expecting it to reappear since that happened last time.

The other was an old cable bill. It went into collection with Southwest Credit Systems for several years, dropped off my reports for two years, then was sold to LVNV a year ago. It set to come off 3/17. I currently have a EE request processing.

Both are/were only reporting on EQ. I got them EE off TU and EX months ago.

I'm not paying either JDB a red cent.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think they'll come back if they're 7.5 years after Dofd. I can't seem to find my dofd.
Message 9 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't think they'll come back if they're 7.5 years after Dofd. I can't seem to find my dofd.

Call the CRA and ask, by law it must be reported to them within 90 days of the original reporting of the debt.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.