cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled credit card within first month, can I get it removed from credit report?

tag
rynocity

Cancelled credit card within first month, can I get it removed from credit report?

Skip to the end for the abbreviated version.

Basically I signed up for the Citi AT&T card which has an opening offer of $650 toward a new phone if you met some minimum spend, I got an initial limit of $1000, which is weirdly low for me..  The card terms are worded very specifically about how you are supposed to order the phone in order to get the credit.   It says you must order online through a special link, which I did.  AT&T claimed the charge was denied and Citi claimed there was a reservation but they couldn't clear it without talking to someone from AT&T, but of course neither company will call the other.  The reservation leaves no room on the card for AT&T to re-charge me.  I tried to pay the card early to have a credit, but they wouldn't do that either.  So I waited for the reservation to drop off, and when it does I got back to find the special link I must use and it's not there or in any of the other places the terms say it should be.

After I had spent hours and hours dealing with this, telling the same story to each person, getting hung up on multiple times, sending secure messages.   One woman basically called me a liar for saying the link isn't there, even though I offered to send a screenshot.  Finally someone sends me a secure message telling me I need to drive to an at&t corporate store(40 minute drive each way) tell you are eligible for the promotion(like they'll know about it, none of the CS agents do, and you aren't allowed to buy the phone in store according to the card terms) then buy a phone and have them send a copy of the invoice to an address and expect the credit 6-8 weeks after that.  I argued that this was contrary to the card terms and was ignored twice via messages and condescended to on the phone.  I was assured this was the only way, and my request for them to send me these instructions as an addendum to the card terms was ignored.

TL;DR(Quick summary)  Got a credit card with opening offer, but due to IT issues with citi was not able to get the offer.  I cancelled the card less than a month after activating it and made about $95 in charges.  Can I get this hard pull and account removed entirely?  

I know I gave permission for the hard pull, I feel like permission was given because they misrepresented the card(at least to me).  I realize that applying for credit gives no guarantee of approval for any specific account, so my claim is unlikely to win on the hard pull, but what about getting the account removed entirely?  Or should I not worry about it affecting my credit?

P.S.  Citibank Customer service is the worst, and I've dealt with a lot of bad companies, like AT&T.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cancelled credit card within first month, can I get it removed from credit report?

1 HP will be a 5 point hit at most in pretty much every case. Nothing to big to worry about. If you authorized it, that inquiry/HP isn't going anywhere. On top of that, you used the card. The chances of getting the account removed are somehwere between slim and none.

Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Cancelled credit card within first month, can I get it removed from credit report?

Agree with the pp.

Count yourself lucky....run far away from AT&T. They have the absolute worst service. Do watch the TL on your account to make sure it is closed out properly. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.