Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling an early secured CC when subsequent cards came very soon after

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cancelling an early secured CC when subsequent cards came very soon after

Hi everyone, 

When I started my rebuilding process in March 2015, I applied for both the Cap One secured ($99 deposit, $29 AF, $500 CL) and the BoA secured card ($300 deposit, $39 AF, $500 CL.) 

This week, I got BoA to unsecure their card, remove the AF, had it converted to a rewards card, and got my deposit back -- so it makes sense to keep this card.

Cap One won't unsecure their card nor will they remove the AF. There is no balance on it. I got it in March; if I cancel it now, will it ding my AAoA? I really don't want to pay an AF now that I have other cards, and I'd rather have my $99 back if I don't "need" this card.

It's the earliest card I was approved for this year, and while closing the earliest card would ordinarily damage AAoA, does it make a difference if subsequent cards all came within a few months of this first card? I know they all stay on my report for ten years, but will removing this "first" card do anything to the AAoA if ALL my cards were approved within an eight month period of the same calendar year?

There will be no substantial hit on utilization -- I now have three other Cap One cards, all three at $10K each; and the CSP is $9K; Discover and AMEX are at $3K each. (I am trying for the 3x AMEX CLI next week.)

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cancelling an early secured CC when subsequent cards came very soon after

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone, 

When I started my rebuilding process in March 2015, I applied for both the Cap One secured ($99 deposit, $29 AF, $500 CL) and the BoA secured card ($300 deposit, $39 AF, $500 CL.) 

This week, I got BoA to unsecure their card, remove the AF, had it converted to a rewards card, and got my deposit back -- so it makes sense to keep this card.

Cap One won't unsecure their card nor will they remove the AF. There is no balance on it. I got it in March; if I cancel it now, will it ding my AAoA? I really don't want to pay an AF now that I have other cards, and I'd rather have my $99 back if I don't "need" this card.

It's the earliest card I was approved for this year, and while closing the earliest card would ordinarily damage AAoA, does it make a difference if subsequent cards all came within a few months of this first card? I know they all stay on my report for ten years, but will removing this "first" card do anything to the AAoA if ALL my cards were approved within an eight month period of the same calendar year?

There will be no substantial hit on utilization -- I now have three other Cap One cards, all three at $10K each; and the CSP is $9K; Discover and AMEX are at $3K each. (I am trying for the 3x AMEX CLI next week.)

Thanks!

Closing isnt going to ding your AAoA it remains on file up to 10 years post close. Personally I would leave it open the year then cancel when the next AF comes due. Since your other cards are around the same time dont worry about it being your oldest either you are not going to have a problem down the line when it is removed.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.