Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot believe this can happen

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot believe this can happen

Making a very long story short, my wife has had some major medical issues in the past 4 years and after several hospital and doctors visits we missed a $250 Doctor bill that showed up on her credit report. Called collection Agency that had the bill and they said that there was no bill in that amount in there from them. Disputed the line item with TU and after six weeks it was verified. Called collection agency back they said that there was still no bill in there for that amount and after 15 to 20 minutes talking to them what they had done is put my wife's bill underneath her maiden name. The lady at the collection agency was nasty, I mean just a nasty individual. They agreed to PFD, I paid the bill instantly. Two weeks later I get a notification from FICO that my TU score had dropped by 27 points and come to find out "assuming" it was the nasty lady from the CA had put my wife's bill on my credit report with a zero balance. When I called they said that it was legal to do in the state of Illinois. Just unbelievable
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cannot believe this can happen

Did they confirm, in writing, they would delete? If so you can use that to hopefully get it corrected
Message 2 of 12
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

A majority of CA practice this method of account deletion. They'll first, report a balance to 0$. Then in the preceding weeks delete. If you have a personal recording or know for a fact, that you asked for a Pay for Deletion during that phone call, speak to a supervisor. Full deletion can take up to 90 days.
Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Id dispute it anyways. Wouldnt hurt. Id say that "I have no knowledge of this account". It most likely will fall off.  Sorry this happened to you and your wife. That lady is a miserable **bleep**.  And as far as the PFD those calls have to be recorded by law since they are collecting a debt. Id call them and remind them of that. If they dont act right tell them you are going to report them for unfair collections practices.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the problem. It was NEVER on my credit report until I called and paid the bill and got into with the nasty one. They say on my credit report that I am co-maker/co-signer of this account. NEVER signed anything and what the h... Is co-maker. The nasty one did it because she didn't like what I said to her. My attorney is looking up the laws now to see what way to go with this. One nasty person from a CA can make your life h... They have WAY to much power.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Here is the problem. It was NEVER on my credit report until I called and paid the bill and got into with the nasty one. They say on my credit report that I am co-maker/co-signer of this account. NEVER signed anything and what the h... Is co-maker. The nasty one did it because she didn't like what I said to her. My attorney is looking up the laws now to see what way to go with this. One nasty person from a CA can make your life h... They have WAY to much power.

Well on behalf of all californians i apologize. But I still think you should dispute it.  Co maker just means its shared responsibility which if you didnt co-sign for anything they cant actually prove the debt belongs to you. And furthermore the collections is under your wifes maiden name and not her married name so they cant attach it to you that way either. What the nasty one did is illegal. You really should disputeit via the transunion online dispute process. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to wrap my head around it all. How in the world do they think you are responsible? Unless it was originally through your insurance or something so you're the guarantor...? Otherwise, I'd dispute it on the grounds it's simply not your debt.

And I'm pretty sure collection agencies aren't required to be truthful when collecting a debt. It's their job to be a bully, they just can't recognize the difference between deadbeats (probably 95% of their conversations in a day) and people actually trying to be responsible like you and pay their debts.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have different insurance company's. I didn't sign anything. They say it's a shared household expense so they have the legal right to put it on my credit report. Maybe legal but not common practice. She didn't like what I said so she was just being vindictive. These lowlife CA have way to much power. Turkeyboy you are right. I CALLED them to get it paid. We could have left it there and never paid it but this is what we get for being upstanding in today's world. Sad Sad day when you do a PFD and then after it is paid they put it on your spouses credit report. This CA are just scum bags. I wish I could put the name of the lady and CA name on here.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW I took a 47 point hit because of this. 27 points for the collect trade line and another 20 today cause it's showing up as a late/no pay. Crazy.
Message 9 of 12
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I would dispute the account since it's not your bill. I could see it being on your reports also if it was a medical bill for a child but not for another adult.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.