Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get a secured credit card

tag
tiger61

Cannot get a secured credit card

Hello everybody,

Until couple years ago I had very good/excellent credit score, Fico score of 750-760.
Past couple years I went through some bad economic road. I messed up all my financial record. 13 of all my credit cards went to collection agencies. With lots of discussion, I paid off all of them about %25 and closed all of them without bankruptcy.

A few months ago my creditwise score was 557, I applied for Capital One Platinum MasterCard and got approved with $500 limit, without any annual fee. (Before 4 of my cards were Capital One credit cards.)

This week my creditwise score was 676, I applied for Discover secured cc (before I had one Discover card), then couple days later applied for Capital One secured cc, both of them declined me. I talked to Discover customer service, they told me I have too many charge offs including one Discover card.

My question is how I can get a secured card with such a credit record?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cannot get a secured credit card

From my experience discover doesnt like a a rebuilder file with lots of charge off/inquiries. Have you tried BOFA? Or your primary banking institution. My CU also allows secured card with bad scores. If all fails open sky cc is a good rebuilder card with high fees.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had good success with US Bank. I had 13 accounts on my report.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tiger61 wrote:

Hello everybody,

Until couple years ago I had very good/excellent credit score, Fico score of 750-760.
Past couple years I went through some bad economic road. I messed up all my financial record. 13 of all my credit cards went to collection agencies. With lots of discussion, I paid off all of them about %25 and closed all of them without bankruptcy.

A few months ago my creditwise score was 557, I applied for Capital One Platinum MasterCard and got approved with $500 limit, without any annual fee. (Before 4 of my cards were Capital One credit cards.)

This week my creditwise score was 676, I applied for Discover secured cc (before I had one Discover card), then couple days later applied for Capital One secured cc, both of them declined me. I talked to Discover customer service, they told me I have too many charge offs including one Discover card.

My question is how I can get a secured card with such a credit record?

Forget trying to get secured cards, you don't need them at this point. The reason for the Cap One denial was not your credit, it is the recent new account with them. They now require six months between account openings. Once your Platinum card hit 6 months, apply for the QS1 card.

As for the current card, you need to ask them to add rewards to it, they will convert it to a QS Mastercard. You also need to request a CLI before it hits 6 months.

Don't be in such a rush. This is not a sprint, its more of a long term endurance trial.

Get your true FICO scores from Credit Check Total. The CreditWise score is useless.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.