Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get approved for any kind of cards - secured or store accounts

tag
FicoMeNow14
New Visitor

Cannot get approved for any kind of cards - secured or store accounts

I have a 575 fico score and i cannot for the life of me get approved for a secured card.  I was banking with bank of america for a few years and finally decided to get a secured card and put down $500 they took my $500 and took over 3 weeks to make a decision and it was a declined decision with a check for $500.  

I have students loans on my credit and a few other creditors.  

How can i try to get my credit up ??? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cannot get approved for any kind of cards - secured or store accounts

Have you applied for other secured cards? I was declined immediately for a BofA secured card but accepted for Capital One and US Bank. I applied for them all within days of each other, and I my scores were lower than yours.

Another option is the Fingerhut Fresh Start program. They will start you out with a very small installment loan, and once that is paid off (as long as you make at least 2 on-time monthly payments), they upgrade you to a revolving account. I'm about to make my 3rd/final payment with them.

Other options might be a Credit One card (not secured) or First Premier. I don't have any experience with those, but I believe I've seen people approved for those cards with lower scores than yours.

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@FicoMeNow14 wrote:

I have a 575 fico score and i cannot for the life of me get approved for a secured card.  I was banking with bank of america for a few years and finally decided to get a secured card and put down $500 they took my $500 and took over 3 weeks to make a decision and it was a declined decision with a check for $500.  

I have students loans on my credit and a few other creditors.  

How can i try to get my credit up ??? 

What are your derogs & how old??

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
peaches111
Valued Member

You can try open sky secured credit card. They do not do a initial credit check. They do report to all 3 credit bureaus each month. Your minimum requirements is 200 deposit with annual fee for 29 that they take out of your deposit. It is no hassle.

Starting Score: 577
Current Score: 577
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

First Progress Bank ... you'll get two secured cards with one app.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.