Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot process a duplicate dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot process a duplicate dispute

I had 3 accounts aging off my reports this year. So I requested with a 3 CRA they be deleted. Transunion was awesome and deleted all 3. Equifax hasnt responded yet. Experian did delete 1 (YAY) but the other 2 changed. One was a charged off credit card and they updated my report to a positive account to remain on until 2020. Ok Not so bad I guess. But the other account has been on my report since 2009 as a baddie to fall off in May. I asked for early removal over the phone so they filed a dispute. Results are in and this shady company now has the account reporting as opened in 2015 and marked as unpaid. It is in fact paid and closed. I tried to dispute this and was told I cannot file a duplicate dispute. There has to be a better way! Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Cannot process a duplicate dispute

Filing of a second or subsequent dispute can be dismissed as frivolous or irrelevant if it is "substantially the same" as a prior dispute.

A dispute that provides additional information not previously submittted, or asserts a different inaccuracy, is not substantially the same, and thus cannot be dismissed.

Your original "dispute" was actually not a proper dispute, in that request for early exclusion is not an assertion of an inaccuracy that is properly disputable.

However, if you now file a dispute asserting inaccuracy of the specific items you mention, that dispute is NOT substantailly the same as a prior dispute, and DOES identify an actual inaccuracy.

Thus, there is no basis for dismissing your dispute.

If they persist, I would file a formal complaint with the CFPB, asserting their violation of the "shall conduct a reasonable reinvestigation" requirment of FCRA 611(a).

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.