Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 GW letter.... comments? Y? N?

tag
tcham54687
New Contributor

Re: Cap 1 GW letter.... comments? Y? N?

Not trying to sound harsh, but I had to read it twice before I understood what you were asking them to do. It might help if it were a little shorter. In my letter to them I put what I wanted done in the first paragraph.

I worked in customer service in the Navy for a few years and received hundreds of letters requesting stuff. After a while you stop reading the story and just want to know what the person wants. It was always easier for me if the person got right to the bottom line in the first paragraph. Then I could read the rest of the letter if it was necessary. Basically, if you make it clear and easy for the person to help you your chances of getting that help goes up...or at least that's how it worked with me.

I had two Cap1 accounts that I submitted GW lettes on. One I wanted delelted and the other I wanted to have a 30day late removed. Cap1 did exactly what I requested, I guess I was lucky.

Your letter is very good, but I would put what I want them to do in the first pargraph. Good Luck!
APR 25, 2008 FICO TU:668/EX:654/EQ:642
Jun 05, 2008 FICO TU:698/EX:697/EQ:709
Aug 01, 2008 FICO TU:724/EX:741/EQ:749
Mar 15, 2013 Fico TU 725/EX 677/EQ/735 (EX has a $60 collection...#$%^ me)
Apr 7, 2013 FICO TU 756/EX 747/EQ 771
Message 11 of 34
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

tcham54687 wrote:
Not trying to sound harsh, but I had to read it twice before I understood what you were asking them to do. It might help if it were a little shorter. In my letter to them I put what I wanted done in the first paragraph.

I worked in customer service in the Navy for a few years and received hundreds of letters requesting stuff. After a while you stop reading the story and just want to know what the person wants. It was always easier for me if the person got right to the bottom line in the first paragraph. Then I could read the rest of the letter if it was necessary. Basically, if you make it clear and easy for the person to help you your chances of getting that help goes up...or at least that's how it worked with me.

I had two Cap1 accounts that I submitted GW lettes on. One I wanted delelted and the other I wanted to have a 30day late removed. Cap1 did exactly what I requested, I guess I was lucky.

Your letter is very good, but I would put what I want them to do in the first pargraph. Good Luck!

Hey tcham.....
Wow!  Who did you get ahold of over there?  I'd already sent 2 other GW's to them & got basically nothing back.  Got letters, but no results.  Here's the letter I'd originally sent 2x..... Not bothering with address & whatnot...

Dear Customer Relations Manager,

I am writing you today to request a measure of Goodwill.

In July of 2000 I’d opened a charge account with your bank.  My payments started out in a timely fashion, but over time I’d become delinquent.  During that time I had unfortunately, taken the unrealistic approach of wishing my money troubles would go away. 

By December 2003, I’d set up payments to with a phone call and a list of check numbers for the first six months. What was a balance of just about $500 had to be paid off with over $1600. This was fully paid by December 2003

Getting that statement saying this account was Paid in Full gave me such a sense of accomplishment.  I looked at it as an expensive, but very effective lesson to be learned, and since that time in January I have never been late with any of my bills.

I had consistently checked my credit reports and last summer, when I thought I’d reached a pretty good place, I bought my first home.  I made sure to take on less than I could chew & found a sweet little 100 year old bungalow. 

So now I come to you with a request.  I’d like to try and refinance my mortgage; however, my credit report still reflects a Collection/charge off from Capitol One Bank.  I am asking for your assistance in deleting the negative information, which is due to fall off next year, from the three Credit Reporting Agencies. If I can, I’d like to leave the old account on my file as that is one of my oldest accounts.

I do understand that you are under no obligation to respond to my request, but I hope that you can assist me in this.  It took me nearly 50 years to get this far, and I feel like I’m just getting started!

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Sincerely,

So...Please!  Tell me what you did to get them to listen to you!  How long ago was this?  What letter did you use?  Still have it??

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 06-07-2008 09:59 PM
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 12 of 34
tcham54687
New Contributor

They sent a reply letter but it was signed with initials only. The initials were "R.S.". This was my first paragraph, feel free to use it if you wish.

"I previously was a holder of a Capital One credit card from Nov 2000-August 2003.    I enjoyed my experience with Capital One and the flexibility the card offered. I am writing to see if you would be willing to make a "goodwill" adjustment to your reporting to the three credit agencies. I had late payments on the above referenced account that date back to 2002 and the account was paid in full in Aug 2003. Since that time I have been attempting to restore my credit following a very difficult personal and financial period.  I pray that you would consider, removing the late payments from my report and provide an updated status to all three credit reporting agencies."

I then added two paragraphs of tear jerking stuff and it worked.
APR 25, 2008 FICO TU:668/EX:654/EQ:642
Jun 05, 2008 FICO TU:698/EX:697/EQ:709
Aug 01, 2008 FICO TU:724/EX:741/EQ:749
Mar 15, 2013 Fico TU 725/EX 677/EQ/735 (EX has a $60 collection...#$%^ me)
Apr 7, 2013 FICO TU 756/EX 747/EQ 771
Message 13 of 34
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Thanks!!!  So you got the letter from "R.S." & then sent in the waa waa letter? Smiley Very Happy

I'll try that.  You can come up with all different letters & you just never know which one will work!

My FIRST one to Wachovia worked...although I've had an acct there for almost 20 years & thru 5 different bank-name-changes!  2 loans, & one cc with no lates.
I'm sure that had something to do with it!
Message 14 of 34
YoungInvestor
Valued Member

Capital One Goodwill worked for me today! Here's what I had done up to this point:
Called about 3 or 4 times (regular 1-800 #)
Sent out 2 GW letters 2-3 weeks ago, 1 addressed to CEO, 1 to the UT address. Result = no response.
Called regular # yesterday, spoke with a senior account manager who kept me on the phone for 25 minutes but could not help me.
Called the "backdoor" number today. 1-877-513-9959
Told them a bit of a sob story and within a few minutes, they came back on the phone with the verdict and disclosure statement. I asked "you are taking these off my credit report?" and csr told me that "Capital One will no longer report these", and it will take 30-90 days to reflect in my credit report.
Yessss!!!!!
Message 15 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@YoungInvestor wrote:
Capital One Goodwill worked for me today! Here's what I had done up to this point:
Sent out 2 GW letters 2-3 weeks ago, 1 addressed to CEO, 1 to the UT address. Result = no response.
Called regular # yesterday, spoke with a senior account manager who kept me on the phone for 25 minutes but could not help me.
Told them a bit of a sob story and within a few minutes, they came back on the phone with the verdict and disclosure statement. I asked "you are taking these off my credit report?" and csr told me that "Capital One will no longer report these", and it will take 30-90 days to reflect in my credit report.
Yessss!!!!!

Was this a charged-off account?

We had one with C1 about 4 years ago that we paid in full ... it's still showing up (of course).

Hubby's had credit (school loans) since approx 1989 ... since Cap 1 (a paid charge off with lates) is in the "middle" of hubby's credit history, would it be a good idea to try to get it off? Or would that hurt his length of history?
Message 16 of 34
bridgetkaryn
Frequent Contributor

Okay this is giving me some SERIOUS hope dealing with capital one... I am calling the backdoor number tomorrow and seeing what they can do for me...  lets keep our fingers crossed!!!!

Thanks for the boost before the start of the week! I am hoping I can get some issues resolved this week!!!
Starting Score: 06/2010- EQ 464
01/2012-EQ 512
April Score: EQ 679 4/12TU- 677 EX- 699 (FAKO)
Current Score: 05/2012-EQ 691 4/12TU- 706 EX- 720(FAKO)
Goal Score: 700 by 05/2012- MADE IT!!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 34
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

YoungInvestor wrote:
Yessss!!!!!

Thanks for the great info!  I just called but their office doesn't open til 9 am eastern time...so I still wait!
Message 18 of 34
YoungInvestor
Valued Member

My situation was this:
CapOne member since 2000.
Had 4 or 5 lates (depending on what report you pulled) on my CR
I generally always pay in full, but got sloppy for a while there
I have 11 open lines, all others were paid as agreed.
EQ 726  Too cheap to buy the others.
3 Things hurting my Score: recent late, history of credit, lates.
While I can't do anything about my length of credit, I just took care of two problems with 1 shot!

As far as your situation, I'm no expert but here's what I've learned so far...
You don't want to remove the account, just the late payments as reported to the credit bureaus. Besides, even closing an account doesn't really take it off your credit report.
I encourage anyone with a late(s) reported on their CR to goodwill that company.

Message 19 of 34
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Thanks Investor...
Here's my situation:  Got the card in 2000, got really late in 03...30, 60, 90, 120, 150 Smiley Sad  Called them in late 03 & from Jan 04 - Dec 04 PIF!  A $500 bal turned into $1600 total!

But I did pay it off, so I'm hoping they'll have a heart with me!! 

BTW...mine is listed on my reports as a CO/Closed  grrrrrrr

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 06-09-2008 09:55 AM
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.