Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Chat

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One Chat

I sent out several GWs (about 5-6) to some CC accounts that I had a few 30 day lates on. Only one (Synchrony/Walmart) sent back an ok that they would remove the late (yay!). So I'm working on the other ones again.

Based on my research here, I decided to try the chat option with a rep for one of my capital one cc accts. I have a 30 day late but otherwise good history. I basically just asked for a courtesy deletion, and this is how it went:

REP: If you wish, we can file a credit bureau dispute on your account.

REP: Any discrepancies found will be reported to the credit bureaus for correction.

REP: Would that be fine?

ME: I don't wish to dispute it because it is true that I didn't make a payment

REP: I understand that. However, it will be request from our end to remove the late payment mark.

He then looks at my account and gives me the whole spiel on how nothing is guaranteed and whatever results of the dispute will be noted on my report blah blah blah. 

My question: Cap One has only sent me back responses saying "the info we report is accurate and no changes will be made" and they even updated my report saying I disputed it, even though I technically didn't (not sure if that negatively affects my report?). Anyway, I'm not really hopeful on this one. Is this enough to dispute if they do deny it? I will patiently wait for the results but would like to be ready with a plan b if it doesn't turn out in my favor.

thanksss!

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Shokk
Established Contributor

Re: Cap One Chat

How old are these lates?  I believe 30 day lates only count in scoring for 2 years.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are from july of this year

Message 3 of 34
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Did you use the FB chat? I spoke with them on the FB chat about having a 30-60-90 day late removed. Have them the info on why I was late and how it was currently affecting me. Ended up typing them a book before I was done. They asked me a few questions about my account (verification) then looked over it for awhile. Finally they came back and this is what they said : Thanks! We're going to forward your concerns to a group who may be able to help. Please allow 7-10 business days for your concerns to be reviewed and contacted. We appreciate your patience! ^JD. That was on Dec 09, I still haven't heard back so hoping that they just fall off. Usually my cap 1 cars updates on my reports the 16th of every month, it hasn't reported this month yet :-/ keeping my fingers crossed. I've read a lot on here that when they offer to file a dispute that it usually comes back as verified, they are just giving you the run around. Good luck on your situation! They seem to be tough to crack.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 4 of 34
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Cap 1 card, not cars lol! Silly iPhone auto correct.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

ha no worries. i actually logged into my acct and used the chat now feature. he basically told me that^^^ mid convo and then told me the same thing you got, i guess the standard response for disputing something. no gaurantee, please allow 10 days for cap one to process dispute and 60-90 days for any changes on your report.

Message 6 of 34
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Shokk wrote:

How old are these lates?  I believe 30 day lates only count in scoring for 2 years.

There is no set time as to when any particular negative will stop impacting scoring but the recency of any negative item is one of the most heavily weighted factors within the most heavily weighted category of scoring — payment history — amounting to 35 percent of your score. The longer the time since the negative the less impact it will have, and the higher your score will go.

There are anecdotal stories that seem to indicate a single 30 day late will lose much of it's sting in 12-24 months but scoring looks not only at the severity and recency of negatives but also how many are reporting at the same time.

It also seems (again anecdotally) that FICO 08 is a little more forgiving when looking at past problems than the older FICO 04 model.

Message 7 of 34
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Oh, I didnt put in a dispute with them. Just asked for a good will removal of the lates. Told them I've never had any issues with their service aside from this one time and that I did not want to file a dispute or complaint against them as they've been very good to me. (Put that in my original book I sent lol)
Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you that was extremely helpful!

Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

i didn't dispute either!! Smiley Happy

they just conveniently use the same wording. I did make it clear that I did not want to dispute it because the info was true, but i was hoping for a gw deletion. that's when I got the response that "he understands, and they will be requesting a removal on their end"

the convo still ended with your dispute will take 60-90 days etc etc

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.