Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One QS and Plat CLI Strategy Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One QS and Plat CLI Strategy Question

I got both of these cards in January. I hit the love button the month before the auto increase was supposed to happen.

Both cards went from 300 to 400 limits. (not much love but better than none.)

I got my 6-month automatic CLI. That took both cards to 750 each. That's a little more love but not the much as I have heard other getting.

Is there a thread or does anyone have advice on how to keep on getting CLIs? 

Thanks in advance,

Solo

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap One QS and Plat CLI Strategy Question

Your scores are still pretty low. Hang in there. 

Focus on cleaning up your reports if you can until you're eligible for another cap one increase.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

There isn't a lot of strategy with Capital One. They are pretty set on a CLI every 6 months outside of the initial credit steps stuff. What you get on the 6 month increase will depend on score, your report and how much you are using that card. So to yield the best results, use the card like crazy, to the limit and pay it off just as fast and that should get you a good increase.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup ... you're pretty much locked into the six month pattern at this point. 

Use em, pay em off, take care of any other derogs as you can, and see what happens in six months. I know I put a LOT of charges through my Plat (paid it off several times a month as needed), that seems to help with CLIs too. Just be sure you ONLY charge what you can afford to pay off (or that you were already going to pay with a debit card. 

It's a marathon, not a sprint. 

One thing I would recommend, however, I would either get on the phone or get on chat (I used chat if I recall correct) and ask if you can have rewards added to your Platinum card. If they approve that, your card will convert from a Plat to a QuickSilver and you'll start earning cashback rewards on that one too. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the platinum to QS via chat just a few days ago....easy process and I've already got a couple bucks back. Be sure you ask for the QS with no annual fee or to have all the AF's waived.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.