Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One charge off question

tag
CreditUnderConstruction
Established Member

Cap One charge off question

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding an old Capitol One account that was charged off back in 2009. I paid the full balance in 2011. On my report it showed my limit, high balance, account balance, past due and everything correctly. It was being reported as charge off paid in full, so I asked for a goodwill deletion of the account since it had been paid in full over 2 years ago. Well of course I got a no. So I kept trying for it using the chat option on their website. After about the 3rd try via chat they gave me the number to call for an account supervisor who would change the status to closed. I never called. I checked my report today and it just shows the account as closed. No mention of it being a charge off, just closed with a balance of $0.

So my question is should I still keep trying to get this account removed, or should I be content with it reporting as closed since it no longer reports as a charge off?

Could this be a goodwill in disguise? Or is it impacting my score as much as ever?

Starting Score: 451Smiley Sad
Current Score: 620
Goal Score: 650+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Cap One charge off question

Without actually seeing how the TL is reporting it is hard to say.  Does it show up as a negative account?

Can you cut and paste before and after TLs?

Message 2 of 10
CreditUnderConstruction
Established Member

1. 51780572****
  2. Credit Card
  3. Closed
  1. Date Open  12/14/2007
  2. High Balance  $675
  3. Monthly Payment  $0
  4. Account Balance  $0
  5. Last Reported  04/03/2011
  6. Amount Past Due  $0

1. Limit  $300
  2. Remarks   -
  3. Responsibility  Individual

1. Past Due Last 24 Months

30 Days 0

60 Days 0

90Days 0

1. Payment History Last 24 Months

I did the best I could at copy and pasting. That's from my TransunionTotal screen. It's akward I know but I tried.

Message 3 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I see nothing derogatory about it.  I looks just like a normal, in good standing, closed TL.

Message 4 of 10
CreditUnderConstruction
Established Member

That's exactly what I thought too but was afraid to get my hopes up. By keeping it on my credit profile will it be holding my score back any?

Message 5 of 10
goosedog
Regular Contributor

It wont hurt it, since its a closed account instead of a chargeoff but its not going to improve it anymore since its a closed account. might see a bit of a score jump switching from collection to closed but thats about it

Message 6 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@CreditUnderConstruction wrote:

That's exactly what I thought too but was afraid to get my hopes up. By keeping it on my credit profile will it be holding my score back any?

Did you see your score go up with this reporting?

Closed accounts in good standing can stay for up to 10 years from the date closed.  No, it is not hurting your score and will be helping it as a positive account.

Message 7 of 10
CreditUnderConstruction
Established Member

I saw a 24 point score jump (FAKO) on TransunionTotal. I had my 2 credit cards report with lower utilization and my student loan report since my last score update. With the other 3 accounts reporting and the status changing I'm not sure which did the most.

Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Have you ever pulled your free reports from annualcreditreport.com?  You get one free every 12 months from each CRA.

I would get one there if you can.  Those are the most accurate and detailed.

Message 9 of 10
CreditUnderConstruction
Established Member

Yes I've gotten my free ones almost a year ago. I almost bought them but decided to put that money toward my last collection and wait until they are available free again.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.