Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One still showing balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One still showing balance

I had two credit cards with Capitol One when I was in the service.  On one overseas deployment the bank screwed up my automatic payments I had set up and started sending them all over the place.  Needless to say once I was back I began engaging into a battle with Capitol One to get all the late fees during this time off.  I had an original balance of just a few hundred dollars and after just three months of this chaos they wanted well over $3,000.00.  I ended up settling with them for $600.00 recently, which is still twice as much as the original balance, but this battle has been going on for years.  I settled through a lawyer that represented Capitol One and I have the settlement letter.  I pulled my credit report and Capitol one was reporting a balance owed of $1,500 so I disputed, now they corrected the balance to $900.00 and listed it as a charge off.  I'm assuming this would be the $1,500 - the $600 I settled with, but why would they still report a balance?  Isn't if it is settled it should say that and not report a balance?  What should be my next step?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Cap One still showing balance

Hi johnsonj, welcome to the forums,

Does it says anywhere in your settlement letter-------considered paid in full ?  or something close to that. 

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The way it should report is the account status of charge off with a comment of something to the affect account legally paid for less than full balance.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 5
QueenBean
Regular Contributor

The balance should be $0 and status CO.  the notes should indicate that the account was settled for less than the amount owed. 

It took a couple of months for my settlements to report properly.  If they don't, I would contact the law firm who handled your settlement.

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I will try to do that.  I hate talking to the law firm.  Can't believe these messes over a few hundred bucks.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.