cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Approved, Barclay Rewards Denied, What’s my next app & when?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Approved, Barclay Rewards Denied, What’s my next app & when?

After waiting years for baddies to drop off, I apped for capital one platinum and was approved Friday with a 2K CL. After reading tons of info here, I realized I needed 3 revolvers to build, so I went for what I thought was the next easiest card – Barclays Rewards. Got denied Sunday, called recon this morning, it’s a no-go. Their reasoning: No history on revolvers or autoloans to base decision on.

Right now I have a HP across the board from capital one and 1 HP from Barclays on TU within the last 2 days. Total inquires on report:

TU: 4

EX: 2

EQ: 2

Scores (myfico):

TU:702

EX:694

EP:659

However, myfico was last updated 3/7 and does not show the pull from Barclays.

CreditKarma shows current inquires. Scores there:

TU: 617

EX: 659

Even before the Barclays HP, there was a big discrepancy between the CK and myfico.

Should I app for anything right now, or wait for the Cap 1 card, use it for 6 months, then try Barclays again (or is one account not enough history) or something else?

I would have really liked 3 cards at once so the inquiries can age off together before shooting for a mortgage in 1-2 years. Income is over 100K, but that doesn’t seem to matter.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 Approved, Barclay Rewards Denied, What’s my next app & when?

Apply for a second Cap One card - Quicksilver Rewards is what I'd suggest. Six months of payment history, then app for the Barclays. If you're in the market, (or anticipate it soon) you might also consider financing a vehicle to get some history there.

Don't sweat the inquiries, you only have a few. It might be different if you had a dozen or more. Since a potential Mortgage app is 1-2 years away, any inquiries now are'n't going to matter anyway. IMO, people here worry WAY too much about inquiries.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am more worried about inquires for a Barclay re-app (which they have been known to deny on) and other cards in the near future than a mortgage. I know they will be irrelevant in 1-2 years.

Edit: Cap1 QS Rewards is what I was approved for.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am more worried about inquires for a Barclay re-app (which they have been known to deny on) and other cards in the near future than a mortgage. I know they will be irrelevant in 1-2 years.

Edit: Cap1 QS Rewards is what I was approved for.

As soon as you see the new Cap One account report, then app for the second card. You can also request an account upgrade from Platinum to Quicksilver after six months.

Message 4 of 16
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

You might want to go on the Chase website and see if you get a pre-quallified offer. Their offers are known to be more reliable than some others (especially if nothing on your credit report has changed recently).

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've checked all of the pre-qual sites, nothing. At this point I think my choices are go in the Garden with the Quick Silver Rewards card or shoot for something like an Amazon Store card and/or Fingerhut.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started w the platinum and then went to a CU after a month to get another regular CC, but w lower interest sand a higher limit. Six months in, capital one increased my CL. A year later, my CL tripled and I upgraded to the Quicksilver One and I just applied for the Venture card and got approved for $10k!! TU 656  EQ 649 EX 643 two cars, one personal loan, student loans, and two CA ?

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, and I didn't prequalify anywhere else before cap 1 gave me the $10k. They are awesome for rebuilding. Credit score for TU was 514 last March

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more place I just thought of to do SP pre-qual shopping -- The customized offers within my B of A account.

I logged in, clicked the link, and it came up with these:

BankAmericard Travel Rewards Card

BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards

BankAmericard Visa

BankAmericard Cash Rewards

What are the actual chances?

Do they show these to everyone with B of A accounts regardless of score?

CK lists the odds at Poor for all of these. Wondering if B of A is actually taking my account history with them (which is damn good) into consideration.

Message 9 of 16
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

After waiting years for baddies to drop off, I apped for capital one platinum and was approved Friday with a 2K CL. After reading tons of info here, I realized I needed 3 revolvers to build, so I went for what I thought was the next easiest card – Barclays Rewards. Got denied Sunday, called recon this morning, it’s a no-go. Their reasoning: No history on revolvers or autoloans to base decision on.

In addition, Barclays likes to see history with their products before giving out their premium cards.

I started with the Apple Financing card to open the door towards a better card down the road... used it 16 months then was instantly approved for a $6700 Sallie Mae.  Sometimes starting small pays off in the end...

Once you get a couple more revolvers open give it 6 months or so and then re-apply for Barclays Rewards or the Apple card.  You should get in...

FICO8 current as of : 4-12-24 EQ: 724 TU: 702 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.