Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Goodwill Response - Confused on how to respond

tag
whitingr
Established Member

Cap1 Goodwill Response - Confused on how to respond

I had a Cap1 Platinum card the was charged off in 2012, sent to third party.  I paid for less than full shortly thereafter.  Wife and I are looking at buidling a new home Q1 of next year and would like to find this gone if possible.  I have tried in the past to do a Goodwill with Cap1 with no luck.  I am currently back with them with 2 cards in good standing.  I recently sent another Goodwill letter taking responsibility noting that I did error and all I was asking for was a Goodwill adjustment.  They responded asking for several items but the following stood out to me:

• Supporting documentation, such as credit report, showing that we've sent incorrect information to CR agencies
  • The exact nature of your dispute

So I don't have any documentation as them reporting it incorrectly as I made the error, not them and I'm not disputing the information.  I am simply asking for a Goodwill Adjustment.  I am stuck on how to proceed.  Has anyone ever received a letter such as this?  What action should I take?

Thanks in advance!

EQ: 599
Trans: 603
Ex: 612
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap1 Goodwill Response - Confused on how to respond

That seems more or less like they are saying we sre only going to help you if we did something wrong. The only thing I can think of to do is to tell them they did nothing wrong and you are asking for help on their part. Or even send another gw out. It might take it getting into the right person's hands.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would respond by telling them that you aren't disputing the information they reported, you are simply asking for a GW adjustment.

I once had a creditor initiate a dispute from a GW letter I sent when that wasn't my intentions at all and I had to fax them something stating that I wasn't disputing anything.  It was kind of annoying.  I feel there are a wide array of people that open GW letters... ranging from idiots that think you're disputing things and intiate a dispute to people that just toss them in the trash to people that respond with a NO to people that actually push through the paperwork to grant you an adjustment.  It's a crapshoot and a numbers game, so all you can do is continue to send GW letters to increase your probability of success.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

As the others have stated, they are willing to help, but only if an error occurred on their part. There are many businesses that play hardball and really refuse to adjust things simply because we ask them to. I can only imagine this has become more prevalent lately and some companies have been towing a harder line as not to do it for one person since they would get flooded with responses from the masses. I've seen this numerous times while fixing my wife's credit. Just gotta keep at it.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.