cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Paid CO - running out of ideas! Suggestions?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Paid CO - running out of ideas! Suggestions?

I have 2 paid Cap1 CO listed on TU and EX from 2005/2006.  EQ was deleted via dispute in late 2007.

I have tried everything to scrub these accounts off my report.  I have tried GW, disputing, emailing, PFB.  So far Cap1 has dug in their heels, big time.

I know Cap1 is tough as nails.  They stick to their guns when everyone else caves.  The only other approach I can think of is Nutcase but since I have GW'd these accounts before, I have already halfway acknowledged the accounts are mine. So that seems like a bad move. 

One idea I had was to pit the CRA's against each other: demonstrate to EX and TU that EQ deleted, therefore they should too.  Has anyone ever tried this?

Any other advice from the forum?  I want these accounts gone...it's my last hurdle.  I know some people have had sporadic success with them, others are in the same boat as myself.  Help!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap1 Paid CO - running out of ideas! Suggestions?

You can't delete or change accurate information on your credit report. It's against the law.

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill is Goodwill.  I would have stuck with the friendly road ... IT IS YOUR DEBT... stopped pretending it's not.  They don't HAVE to erase it.  They can if they felt somewhat sympathetic however the way your playing the game I doubt that's gonna happen now.  You basically disputed and plan on using Equifax to call out the other two CRA's.  This type of strategy is bound to burn ya in the end i wouldn't go about it this way.  When your right ur right and when your wrong your wrong.

Edit: just because it doesnt show up on EQ doesn't mean anything.  That can happen for multiple reasons.  The CA might not have reported it to all three CRA's.  Or like you said they deleted it.  The other two CRA's will check it, confirm it irregardless whether EQ shows it.  You showing that it's not on EQ will only make them go thru the entire dispute process and guess what it's still gonna come back verified.  Cap one is gonna be involved in the dispute process becuz quite naturally who else with they contact so they will also keep record of this.  So good luck in the future in dealing with them directly.  I would not recommend this.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

daboss28: I am not pretending the debt does not belong to me.  I have fully acknowledged ownership both in the original post above, as well as in the correspondence I have had with Cap1.  If I was denying ownership of the accounts, I would have sent Cap1 a DV or something similar, which I have never done.

I am simply looking for ideas from others who may have had success, one way or another, with Cap1 in a situation similar to mine. I fully understand that Cap1 is under no obligation to delete the trades.  But they are allowed to make exceptions at their own discretion.

I do, however, thank you for your advice about the CRA idea.  I agree with you that this may cause more harm than good so that idea has been scrapped.

Message 4 of 9
mauve
Valued Contributor

You denied it was yours when you disputed.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mauve:

There are a variety of reasons you can use to dispute an account - some involve account ownership while others include 'incorrect balance', 'accout was paid', etc.  Individual data elements on the tradeline can be disputed.

In the case of EQ, I disputed the balance since my payment was never updated to the CR.  I did not dispute on the basis of ownership since there's no point in doing so when I paid the account which basically acknowledges ownership.

The dispute process requires that if a furnisher does not respond before the 30 day mandated timeframe, the trade is dropped from the report.  See FCRA § 611(a)(5)(A).  I suspect this is what happened between EQ and Cap1. 

Regards, cardmaster.

Message 6 of 9
mauve
Valued Contributor

Then disputing wouldn't have been a way to get it removed, which is what you seem to think the end result would be.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Mauve,

Not sure what you're trying to say, but I have already disputed with the CRA's.  This resulted in a delete from 1 of the 3.  I do not intend to dispute again at the risk of being tagged a 'frivolous disputer' or whatever term the CRAs use for recursive disputers. 

My original post was really just seeking guidance from others that are (or were) in a situation similar to the one I described.  Do you have any advice or experience to share?  That's what I'm looking for.

Regards, cardmaster.

Message 8 of 9
mauve
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 2 paid Cap1 CO listed on TU and EX from 2005/2006.  EQ was deleted via dispute in late 2007.

I have tried everything to scrub these accounts off my report.  I have tried GW, disputing, emailing, PFB.  So far Cap1 has dug in their heels, big time.

I know Cap1 is tough as nails.  They stick to their guns when everyone else caves.  The only other approach I can think of is Nutcase but since I have GW'd these accounts before, I have already halfway acknowledged the accounts are mine. So that seems like a bad move. 

One idea I had was to pit the CRA's against each other: demonstrate to EX and TU that EQ deleted, therefore they should too.  Has anyone ever tried this?

Any other advice from the forum?  I want these accounts gone...it's my last hurdle.  I know some people have had sporadic success with them, others are in the same boat as myself.  Help!

Based on the highlighted sentence, it seems that you disputed frivolously already.  And my only advice is to wait it out OR to search the forums for people who've had success with Capital One. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.