Not applicable

Re: Cap1 Pre qualify

Only allowed two sub prime cards.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I was reading that i can only have 2 sub prime cap1 one cards is this true? So i have 1 secured and noa the platinum is that why the QS1 didn't get approved?

This has been a point of much discussion here and seems to be a function of you profile. Some get all 3.

In my opinion, but I think it's solid advice, you should dump the secured and app the QS1 and here's why. Any growth with the secured card will be long and fairly slow. It has served its purpose for you in that it helped you get to the point where you a qualifying for better TL's. If you pay it off and close it the TL will remain reporting as a positive TL for another 10yrs so you don't loose any advantage from your AAoA.Give it a week after you close it and app the QS1.

The QS1, on the other hand, will work in concert with your Plat and grow quickly (6mths to get to a Prime card). I know, you're concerned about another INQ on the reports but at this point you need the TL's and with them come HP's. Almost every TL you get will cause an INQ on at least 1 bureau but they are a very small % of your overall scores and they age off (or become irrelevant) quickly. There are tons of threads about how to PC the Plat, get early CLI's on both CC's and combine them after 6mths.

If you think you're excited now having gotten the Plat, think how overjoyed you'll be when they allow a PC up to a real, PRIME CC OR when you get an early CLI knowing that you have another one coming at the end of the STEPS programs.

So many of us have gone this route and I can tell you from experience that it feels AWESOME to get some positive interaction with creditors and have them acknowledge your hard work by giving you better TL's and offering CLI's...

Go for it and let us know how it goes.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!

Message 13 of 19
rebuilding123
New Contributor

Congrats on the new TL!

Military Star $6.7K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7K | Barclays Arrival $3K | BankAmericard Platinum Plus $2.5K | Blue Nile $4.5K
Starting Score: ~490 (April 2015)
FICO 8: 712 EQ // 695 TU // 701 EX (August 2016)
Goal Score: 720
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sky builder thank you for the advice. Now ive only had my secured card for 2 statements, could i cancell that with no repercussions? Will it hurt me at all i would stilll have 3 TL reporting
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait till you get your Platnum then call and close the secured account. I don't recommend you tell them to close the account on the same call for activation (Also you can activate online). They might make a mistake and close your new card. as some of the representatives are overseas. 

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I have upgraded my Platinum to a QS .. and currently have a QS1 and QS ... can I close out my secured card and apply for another Platinum to get rid of my secured line? Should I continue to hold onto the secured credit card? or cancel it and wait for better opportunities on prime cards thorough cap one and other banks? My credit scores have finally breeched the 600s but have plateaued. I have a few things falling off at the begining of April so I may get a little credit boost then. Im assuming as long as I have 3 cards including the secured, I wont find anything else on the prequalify b/c of the amount of accounts I already have with them. 

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sky builder thank you for the advice. Now ive only had my secured card for 2 statements, could i cancell that with no repercussions? Will it hurt me at all i would stilll have 3 TL reporting

No, closing it will not hurt you at this point.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If I have upgraded my Platinum to a QS .. and currently have a QS1 and QS ... can I close out my secured card and apply for another Platinum to get rid of my secured line? Should I continue to hold onto the secured credit card? or cancel it and wait for better opportunities on prime cards thorough cap one and other banks? My credit scores have finally breeched the 600s but have plateaued. I have a few things falling off at the begining of April so I may get a little credit boost then. Im assuming as long as I have 3 cards including the secured, I wont find anything else on the prequalify b/c of the amount of accounts I already have with them. 

If you have a total of three Cap One cards keep the secured until you can get a third card from a different lender.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.