Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 card post BK?

tag
MagicShot
Contributor

Cap1 card post BK?

I have been trying to get cap1 card since our BK was discharge 4/2015. It was IIB as well. I would like a decent card to replace credit one card at some point.

Currenly Have:

Credit One: $950 for ~ 1yr

Target: $2000 for ~ 10mo

SportsmansGuide: $2500 for ~ 6mo

Kohls: $500 for ~5 mo

Amazon: $1000 for ~2mo

FICO is 667 as of Today. No lates on Credit report. as far as bad marks only BK 12/15 discarged 4/15. 6-7 inqs Oldest account ~ 11yrs, AAoA ~4+ yrs.

These are the denial reasons I have recieved, with the second one being the most recent one:

"Based on your application information, there are too many delinquent past or present Capital One

credit obligation(s)"

"Based on your application information, we observed activity on a prior Capital One account that is

not consistent with our expectations for account usage or the terms of the account agreement"

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Namaste7
Established Contributor

Re: Cap1 card post BK?

Did you try the pre-qualification tool on their site to see if you had any offers?

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 2 of 12
MagicShot
Contributor

Yeah, I try once a month or every other month, it always returns the cannot find an offer. It did that before I filed, when I had excellant credit as well though.

Message 3 of 12
Namaste7
Established Contributor

From what I've read (and I recommend YOU do your own research), people who applied with Cap1 12+ months post discharge tend to get approved with a decent limit (based in income and scores). Also, many have IIB'd or had a CO with CapOne and was able to reestablish themselves.

With your scores and rebuild history, I think you could be successful apping for the Platinum and QSO. Perhaps, others will chime in for perspective.

Also, while prequal is good indicator, you can be approved without offers.
~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 4 of 12
MagicShot
Contributor

I have researched. The only thing I can think of is to send an email to the EO and see if they can do something? It kind of seems like I am blacklisted in their automated system,

Message 5 of 12
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@MagicShot wrote:

I have researched. The only thing I can think of is to send an email to the EO and see if they can do something? It kind of seems like I am blacklisted in their automated system,

You only hit 1 year out from DC this month which may be attributable to the prior declines. Others seem to have been approved with C1 even with a prior IIB (or charge off) but that is always subject to YMMV. I would think you have a stronger chance now that you are officially one year out from the BK. However, you could be patient and allow your file to continue to mature. Did you check out these two threads:

1. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...
  2. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Bankruptcy-Friendly-Credit-Cards-Pt-2/td-p/3999737

If for whatever reason, C1 wants to see your reestablished history over a longer period of time, there are other BK friendly creditors that you could establish a relationship with. C1 is pretty forgiving but give it time.

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 6 of 12
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Cap 1 is very forgiving. I burned them in a bk, AND a subsequent charge off, and they still gave me a Quicksilver 1. If you can't get anywhere with them, which is unusual, try bringing your UTI down to 10-15%, and apply for the Barclay's Rewards MasterCard. Its a nice credit card for people with fair credit.

Wish you a great credit future!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 7 of 12
MagicShot
Contributor

So heres the only thing I know I had an issue besides the BK in the past. I had like 5 cards with HSCB years ago. They closed all my accounts with them due to potential risk even though I had a zero balance. Then Captial One bought all their cards. Since them then wouldnt budge on CLI's or high quality card by them even when I had perfect 760-800 credit with 15% utl. Now I have a few and card and only like 4% utl with the BK and its the same story with them. I wonder I that previous issue with HSCB has be flaged or something in their system.

Message 8 of 12
MagicShot
Contributor

I have read them. those are awesome posts. I have burned about every major creditor out their in our BK. I had like over 35 CC's. AMEX, Discover, Capital One, CITI, Barclay, BofA, Sync, comenity, Chase. US bank, Wells Faro. I am sure I am forgetting a few as well.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I included Capital One in my BK $300 in March 2015 and discharged in June 2015. I tried to get back with Capital One but was declined with no HP until last week FINALLY approved for $3,000 Platinum....13 months post FILING date...so I have a feeling that if you wait till next month you MIGHT be approved (depending on what's in your current credit reports) so YMMV.

Oh, the pre-qual STILL shows nothing for me (even right now) but I cold app'ed and got approved! Smiley Happy

Really, you can keep apping and nothing to lose since they didn't hit you with any HPs UNTIL you finally get approved or not WITH an HP.

Good Luck and keep us posted! Smiley Happy

Cheers!

CAMailman

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.