Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 not reporting to Equifax... Called in

tag
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

Cap1 not reporting to Equifax... Called in

Hi Everyone,

I have been working on repairing my credit with everybody's help, I'm almost there...... So I noticied that both of my Cap1 cards have never reported to Equifax. Both of these cards are going on almost 2 years.

I called Cap1 this morning on both of my accounts with them, in regards to not reporting to Equifax. The CSR was helpful and said they would begin the "dispute" to have these accounts report to Equifax. Now I got a little concerend when I hung up as the CSR refered to this as a "dispute".... Is that something to be concerened about or is this the standard procedure?

He said I would be getting a letter in the mail in 7-14 days with a result of the "dispute"... this "dispute" should hurt me, should it? I doubt it, but thought I'd check with the experts.

Fico Scores: TU 700 (10/12/2016) EQ 729 (10/01/2016) EX 713 (10/01/16)

AMEX BCP $25,000 (opened 09/2012) - Citi TYP $12,000 (opened 12/2012) Chase Sapphire Preffered $6000 (opened 09/2012)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Cap1 not reporting to Equifax... Called in

If it is not reporting to a CRA, then there is no information to dispute.  Disputes under the FCRA only relate to the accuracy of information that has been reported to your credit file.

Yes, reporting of a dispute will result in a flag being entered into your credit file, thus removing some of the OC account information from scoring until the dispute is resolved, but in your instance, that is not an issue. 

They were just using the term "dispute" in a general manner.

Message 2 of 16
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

Oh, okay. That's what I figured.

Do you think that ones they start reporting to EQ, they will report every month or will I have to stay on top of them?

AMEX BCP $25,000 (opened 09/2012) - Citi TYP $12,000 (opened 12/2012) Chase Sapphire Preffered $6000 (opened 09/2012)
Message 3 of 16
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

Hi Everyone,

Here is an update and I have a couple additional questions.....

So I got the letter from Cap1 in the mail a couple of days ago, the letter stated that they verified all the information and that they verified they were infact reporting to EQ. The letter stated that I should now contact EQ concerning this as Cap1 is doing their part with reporting to EQ.

Called EQ today, as I couldn't do this type of dispute online. The CSR asked me to fax in the letters from Cap1 along with a cover letter explaining my situation. That is the part that I have a couple of questions about. Is it safe to add my SNN, DOB, and that type of information to the cover letter? I'm assuming they'll need it. The CSR asked me to also include a copy of my driver licence. Should I also include copies of my last statement for Cap1? (I think I read in other posts that this is needed)

Message 4 of 16
2NE1
Established Contributor

Are you saying that for the past two years you never pulled your free EQ reports off http://annualcreditreport.com? and you just noticed they're not reporting?

just wondering...
Message 5 of 16
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

No, actually the complete opposite, I've known for a while now.... but I could have sworn that in the past, I've seen several posts here and other forums that talked about Cap1 not reporting to all three CRA. So I always figured that this was normal and a negative aspect of Cap1.

Not till recently, I read a post that stated that they infact should or do report to all three... it could have been something that they didn't do years ago, or plain and simple, bad information....

Trust me, I've never wasted a free report Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 16
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

Hi guys,

I could really use some more advice......

I am still struggling to get EQ to report the (2) Cap1 cards. I got two letters (one for each account) from Cap1 that state they reviewed their information and that infact they are reporting to all (3) CRAs and that i should contact EQ about this issue.

I called EQ and they want me to fax these letters to them along with a copy of my drivers license. What else should I include? Should I have a cover letter with my infromation including SSN??? Copies of statements??? or just the letters from Cap1?

Has anybody else dealt with this type of issue before?

Message 7 of 16
gettnthere
Established Contributor

in regards to sendin your D.O.B and SSN# i think its safe to do, i was disputing a name error on my report a few weeks back and they requested the same info from me. i sent it to them and they corrected it. i would just make sure to destroy the fax with your personal info on it as soon as its sent. IMO

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 16
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

I am dealing with this issue now.  I received a secured Capital One card in August 2011 and noticed several months ago that it was not reporting to EQ.  I have talked to EQ several times--they assure they are reporting what has been submitted to them.  Capital One filed a "dispute" with EQ and I just recently got a letter from them saying that they have verified that the information on my credit report matches the information in their records--whatever that means.  The letter stated that if I feel like it is still not reporting correctly to send them any kind of documentation that I have such as my credit report.  They say there is nothing further that they can do until then.  I have ordered my EQ report from annualcreditreport.com and am waiting to receive it and then I guess I will send it in.  

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 9 of 16
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

@proudnavymom wrote:

I am dealing with this issue now.  I received a secured Capital One card in August 2011 and noticed several months ago that it was not reporting to EQ.  I have talked to EQ several times--they assure they are reporting what has been submitted to them.  Capital One filed a "dispute" with EQ and I just recently got a letter from them saying that they have verified that the information on my credit report matches the information in their records--whatever that means.  The letter stated that if I feel like it is still not reporting correctly to send them any kind of documentation that I have such as my credit report.  They say there is nothing further that they can do until then.  I have ordered my EQ report from annualcreditreport.com and am waiting to receive it and then I guess I will send it in.  

I got the exact same letter, sounds like it's the same word for word..... might be a very general "dispute" letter that they send to everybody......

So, I wonder who's really at fault... Is Cap1 not really reporting to all three CRAs or is EQ not processing it correctly??  

I just faxed those letter to Equifax with a cover letter explaining that these are not reporting, included DOB, SNN, and copy of DL. The only bad thing is that these letters have no account information, not even the CC account number. It's all xxxxxx execpt the last (4) digits. So will this even help EQ get the correct information in their system?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.